Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2001 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne I would be interested to receive thoughts and comments on the status of other H&S professionals within their respective organisations. I am of the firm belief that the person employed in a health and safety capacity should be part of the senior management team with a direct report to the most senior person on site (Managing Director/Plant Manager etc.). The person in the role should be given equal status to that of the managers for Human Resources and Quality. In my present position I am reporting to 2 HR Managers (I cover 2 sites). Too often the H&S role is seen as a sub function of HR and of lesser importance (certainly in the salary and company car stakes!!). More importantly, because the role is part of another department and not a department in its own right, the level of authority is diminished. I look forward to receiving any responses Regards, Paul Craythorne
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2001 16:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods If you look at the structure of most good companies you will find that the health and safety officer/manager reports to senior management. In many of the not so good H&S is seen as an offshoot of the HR dept and not worthy of being a department in it's own right. In the later type of company the H&S manager is usually there to be used as a scapegoat when things go wrong. In my experiance the HR dept has a different agenda to that of the safety professional in as much as they will look to blame the individual in the case of an accident for example. Where the H&S proffesional will look for a failure in the system and amend things from there. Without direct contact with senior management it is impossible to carry out your work efficiently. One piece of advice I would strongly reccomend you do follow is to ensure that you have written evidence of any suggestions you have made dialogue you have had with HR [which they may forget pass on] to cover your back. You should have a limited amount of direct contact with senior management if your safety committee is formed correctly, maybe this could be your opportunity to state your case.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 September 2001 12:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Dear Paul, I am fortunate in that I report directly to my MD. Obviously if (we) report to a HR manager/production manager their primary concern is HR/Production no matter how high their regard to H&S is. That is generally their strong point and that is why they are there. I have been asked who I feel I should report to (??) by individuals in senior management. my response is and always be, to the MD/senior person on site. Ultimately it is their responsibility for H&S, do they want a "middle man (person)" potentially blocking some high risk/important information? not if they are fully H&S conscious! Try and raise the awareness of your senior most manager. He will then want you pretty close. Until at least your management systems are in place and working! What are you doing for European Safety Week. A lot of conferences will be held I think. My local H&S group is holding a conference on “responsibilities of senior managers and Directors for H&S” Ultimately it is up to them to get AWARE and go these seminars etc.!! If you’re problems include salary and company car etc, etc look at the overall cost of accidents, claims high turnover and if/what you have saved the company. I ams sure someone can remember the HSG No for the cost of accidents, I cannot. I hope my ramblings have been of some help. Regards Andrew
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 September 2001 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Andrew, HSG 96 I believe? There's an excellent light hearted article in this months Practitioner regarding the role of a Safety Proffessional who has been persuaded to take up his duties alongside his "normal" job. Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2001 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Thanks Nick, could well be handy come appraisal time, if of course you have been able to make an improvement, rather than as some production colleagues say "leaving obstacles etc around in an attempt to increase accidents and therefore keep myself in employment" is that a criminal act "obtaining money by deception"?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 13 December 2001 06:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny MA Paul, I personally do not have preferences to who I am reporting to, MD or other directors or HR magr. May be I do not wish to report to the said most senior persons as sometime my suggestions/efforts/jobs would have been adversrly seen as backed by MD etc., but not out of my own capabilities. Bear in mind safety person should possess a good salesmanship up to senior people and down to shop-floor workers. If u can sell your direct boss even he is a layman to OSH, u surely can sell to everybody. If your direct boss is your friend after he/she could have realized your capability, u can build up a trust with him/her then everything will be going right. In my experience, how to build up a trust with him/her and the fellow workers was before I moved, I stepped in their shoes to think first and if in need, I invited their fellow subordinates to figure out a win-win suggestion. If their fellow workers had involved, he/she would feel being respected and would compromise. I am no better than they are but just know more about the concerned OSH legislations. The value of mind if I can suggest the best resolution having balance to both the requirements of legislations & the real workplaces stuffs. I believe the court does not wish to have a 'risk free' world but "as reasonably practible" only. Danny from Hong Kong
Admin  
#7 Posted : 13 December 2001 09:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Whilst I now report directly to the chief officer, my previous experience has been that your situation is often the case - particularly in local government and the like. There is a danger with this that aspects of health and safety work that are not seen as directly to do with personnel issues may be 'subordinated', etc. Whilst we are principally concerned with the well-being of employees, there are other aspects of our work that will relate more to the areas of work of other 'managers' (visitors, contractors, construction works, buildings, services, processess, equipment, etc, etc and we need the necessary access and involvement in those areas too!. I can still remember seeing an advert some years ago in a local government paper for a 'Car Park Attendant/ Safety Officer'.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 December 2001 15:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Warwick I must admit that I get more than a little tired of this navel gazing and indulging in “mine is bigger than yours” games when it comes to H&S professional discussing to whom they report to. For the record I have reported directly to the CEO, and via the Clinical, Quality and HR directorates. I would say that each have their own nuances, but they were (are) all on board to improve H&S. The important factor is working with people to improve H&S and to appreciate the differing ways ours customers tackle their problems. So, less inward looking and more outward looking. Rob
Admin  
#9 Posted : 18 December 2001 12:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Rob W, Whether we report to a HR, Quality, or clinical director can be irrelevant, but only if all directors/senior managers are on board. We all need to raise our profile from time to time so that we may start looking outward not just with responsibility but also with authority. It is of course possible to be restricted by middle managers that give responsibility only. And anyway, if you feel it is not necessary to have the odd moan, great, I am pleased that you are in such a position, I for one however, would like to use the forum to moan on occasion, a problem shared…………… Regards Andrew
Admin  
#10 Posted : 18 December 2001 23:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp I think you should get another job! Seriously this must be an archaic firm, but perhaps when the proposed changes in the Coporate Manslaughter law finally arrives the powers that be may consider your position a little more important - and so might you. Ray