Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 October 2001 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry hutton Part of out arrangements for controlling the risk from Legionella involves designing in outlet water temperatures, at wash hand basins of 50 degreesC. In schools however there is a risk of scalding. Is anyone aware of any guidance relating to safe hot water temperatures specifically for schools. I have seen the NHS Estates guidance on hot water temperatures.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 October 2001 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan I am not aware of any specific LEA guidance. I guess this would fall within the risk assessment sphere. If there is a significant risk of scalding then thermostatic valves should be fitted.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2001 14:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The HSE, CAPT, RoSPA, etc give 43 degC as the maximum hot water outlet temperature to protect risk groups from scalding. I would apply this to nursery age children, special needs and others based upon risk assessment (in addition to residents in care) and install thermostatic mixers to the outlets. Beyond this, 50 degC is given as the safe maximum against scalding.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 October 2001 16:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Maggie Atterbury The consultation paper on National Minimum Standards for Residential Schools, identifies 43 degrees C as the maximum temperature for radiators and hot water.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 16 October 2001 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack You should also see The Education (School Premises) Regulations 1999 (SI1999 No. 2) It has the following: 22. (3) The temperature of hot water supplies to baths and showers shall not exceed 43°C. 20 (4) In a special school, nursery school or teaching accommodation used by a nursery class in a school the surface temperature of any radiator, including exposed pipework, which is in a position where it may be touched by a pupil shall not exceed 43°C. Its available on HMSO website http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1999/19990002.htm#3
Admin  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2001 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Regrettably the Education (School Premises) Regs don't specifically apply the 43 degC rule to washhand basins - but the risk principle of this temperature to risk groups is established here and found in the recommendations of others as I mention above.