Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 October 2001 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Help!! I have just been told I have to spend money on books. Can anybody recommend the core books we should have. Thge only things I cant order are things that have a subscription attached. The areas we work in are the Voluntary sector and SME's covering all types of work. Obviously we already have books but an idea of the core ones we should have would be useful.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2001 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rory Reed Morning From my own view point I have found Ridleys safety at work very useful despite what sector i have worked in. Another useful book along similar lines is Tolleys safety at work both available from hmso. if you do not have the six pack its worth getting the approved codes of practice. visit the hse website (get this by accessing lycos and searching for it) they have free publications you can download from an A - Z. consider subscribing in future to barbour or technical indexes for their cd roms systems both good tech indexes might have the edge price wise. good luck rory
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2001 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Dando How about also HS(G)65, New and expectant mothers at work (your staff must get pregnant sometime), something on violence and aggression, first aid and other booklets on stress( speak nicely to your MIND office in the high street or equivalent), manual handling and office health and safety, (other than those that are part of the 6 pack)and a copy of Tolleys for you. Phone up HSE and get a copy of their current book catalogue for future purchases. Have you considered learning aids such as training videos or interactive CDs?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2001 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Th HSE produce an excellent publication for the charity and voluntary sector which if you have not seen would be a good buy. You might also like to go to the IOSH front page and have a look at the publications list. Alan St John Holts Principles of Health and Safety is excellent.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 October 2001 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt Thanks for the plug!! But, since you mention it there's also a construction book by the same fellow obtainable via Amazon, good bookshops etc. Principles of Construction Safety is a lot more practical and, er, focused. The trouble with non-updating books is of course that they get out of date rather quickly. Personally I favour Tolleys, partly on price grounds. Allan
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 October 2001 09:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Isn't Tolley's subscription, which Ashley can't go for? Richard
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 October 2001 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Charleston A subscription-based publication doesn't have to be renewed next time! I suggest that if you want such books, declare to your organisation from the outset that periodic renewal is not intended. I have "dipped in and back out" on a number of occasions over past years and find it very for evaluating the various offerings over time. Obviously they go out of date, but so does any other book. Mike
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 October 2001 19:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hi Ashley I know you have money to spend on books but will this stretch to videos? I also work within the voluntary sector and have viewed the Charities Safety Group video which has 3 scenarios - charity shop - fairground/fete - visiting clients in thier home. I belive it is less than 2 ponies and comes complete with books so that you can can deliver a short course tailored for the voluntary sector. I do not have the details to hand but if you send me your email address to david@safetymatters.org I will get back to you proto. Good Luck David B