Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2001 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Lines I realise that there is a lot of "talk" and hysteria around security and risks for workers in high-rise buildings at the moment, but I am trying to get some official information regarding the use of low altitude parachutes. I've now been sent bulk email from 2 companies offering these as a "last resort" option for workers in high-rise buildings, and although the proposition seems extremely dangerous, it does have the attraction of being "better than nothing". So my two questions are: 1. Is there anything to prevent me from getting my own and storing it "under my desk". 2. Is there anything to prevent my company offering them to the staff and providing training, storage etc.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 October 2001 15:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Maddock I would not even contemplate buying emergency parachutes (is this a joke by the way!). I have done some paragliding, so I can tell you that: 1. You would probably be contravening airspace rules 2. Only the most experienced of parachutists would be able to do so safely 3. This sounds like "base-jumpin", which is certainly illegal in the UK. ...sound like fun for the more adventurous staff though :-)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 October 2001 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne This Forum (in the words of Monty Python) is getting silly!!!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 October 2001 16:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen No this isn't a joke it is a serious question to which we safety practitioners must be prepared to give an answer. In the event of a fire the emergency procedure for the World Trade Centre only required the floor where the fire occurred and those immediately above and below it to be evacuated. Everyone else was required to keep working as normal. When the first bomb exploded there a few years ago it took more than six hours to evacuate the entire building. On the 11th of September even after the first tower was hit people in the second tower were advised to stay where they were. It is a situation reminiscent of the Piper Alpha disaster where those who followed the established drill (ie assemble in the accommodation) died, whereas those who jumped overboard survived. I don't know how many large towers we have in the UK of similar capacity to WTC, I guess there are one or two at Canary Wharf but it does mean that we need to re think the risk assessment for such large buildings. We normally discount a crashing civil airliner as a credible scenario in installation risk assessment. I assume the people involved in the emergency preparedness for the WTC made a similar assumption. These were prominent structures, well illuminated with anti collision lights, not in a direct flight path and in an area subject to strict air traffic control. The risk of accidental collision must have been very low. Now structures have been hit by civil airliners. In the current world climate it is difficult to argue that it could not happen again and therfore it must be considered as foreseeable. Risk assessments for large high rise buildings will have to take this scenario into account. This may include the need to consider alternative means of escape and while I think the idea of parachutes is far fetched a lot of people will buy them. Look how many have bought "gas masks" even if they have no idea what they are protecting themselves against! Owners of high rise buildings will have to review their emergency plans, their means of escape and may even have to consider the provision of last ditch personal escape devices. A plethora of these came onto the market after Piper A. Most importantly they will have to discuss and explain these plans to the people who work and live in such buildings. If done properly this should go a long way towards preventing hyeteria and the unnecessary purchase of devices such as parachutes. Regards John.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 18 October 2001 16:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne I too thought this was a joke. As a former sport parachutist and glider pilot, I'm quite disturbed that someone is marketing parachutes in this way. It might have saved people on floor 100 of the WTC. But each type of parachute has a minimum distance that you will fall before it will open. They are designed to open slowly otherwise you'd get a nasty back injury. What altitudes are they saying you can use them at? You also need training! "Normal" parachutes would not be used below 800ft as a minumum, and that's pushing it (military only - you wouldn't get sport parachutists jumping below 2000ft, except for dangerous and illegal fixed-object jumping as referred to above, which has killed a good few participants.) What would happen if you supplied them to people on high floors and not to those on floors below, on the grounds that they'd just kill themselves if they used them? Would that be accepted? What if someone used one, and was injured or died, in circumstances where they could have evacuated safely by the normal route? I would not fancy facing the relatives, their lawyers or a judge and jury after such a case. I'd be very interested to see the sales information.