Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2001 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Wright Following the catastrophic events in the US in Septemeber has anyone out there implemented a revised security procedure within their facility. If so I like some advise as to how this has been addressed as I have been asked to formulate a paper on this for my organisation. Any help out there ?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2001 02:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Peter. Look at the Home Office Web site, www.homeoffice.gov.uk Go to the A-z Index at the top left hand side of the page and go to "T" Under Terrorism and Terrorists you will find a downloadable book, "Bombs Protecting People and Property" This is a good starting publication and you will find many other references and links from the Home office site to other similar useful resources. Talk also to your Insurers, the local Police and The Post office or as I believe it is now called, Consignia? for guidance on intercepting and handling suspect packages etc., Further than your base question which seems to target Security, does your Organisation have a wider Disaster Plan and a Recovery Strategy, in risk management terms, (Assett Protection). If not then you should think along these lines as well. I don't know what sort of business you are involved with but think more widely than just the immediate security of your premises, reception and post room. Do you have workers who go out to other peoples premises? Do you have Service providers and Suppliers coming to you and entering your premises with vehicles, plant and equipment. How well do you screen them. Do your employees that Go Out use company Transpot and bring that transport, that vehicle/item of plant back to your premises. If you work for an external client that some protest Group do not favour and they want to target them they might do it by targeting others who work for the organisation and so unwittingly your own transport and or transfer of goods and packaging could carry the threat or device to you. Similarly, if you transport personnel daily to and from work over some distance, say in a crew bus and on a foggy winter morning on the motorway the vehicle is involved in a multi vehicle pile up and your group suffers multi fatality, How prepared is your organisation to deal with the Trauma of such a situation. As regards base security at your own premise, a key factor is involving everybody in the organistion and getting them to undrstand the importance of the policy, rules and procedures that you are about to embark upon developing and introducing. Your ability to control and to minimise the outcome of any Terrorist threat or action or other operational Disaster or Trauma will only be as good as the plan and procedure and the reaction and committment to it by your personnel. Your Directors and Senior management should, once the Plan is developd and agreed Introduce it, not leave it to the Safety/Security function. It has to be demonstarted right from the top of the Organisation that this is a serious issue. Also you will need to have regular re-briefings and updates, to keep people on their toes. Complacency soon creeps back. Perhaps since the 11th Sept those who fly now pay more attention to the pre take off Air Safety presentation given on all aircraft, but before that date, if you were a regular Air taveller, did you ever look around you on the aircraft to see just how few of your fellow passengers were paying any attention or interest at all to the Safety Briefing. Can I suggest that before you finally adopt your Company Procedure and introduce it that you have a dummy run. Having got Board agreement, Introduce the system to the Board, the Senior management team and the key prsonnel that will be required to "Take Action" if and when a Threat or an Event occurrs. Present a Mock scenario and work it through, see if your sysstem works and note and incorporate all the outcomes and shortfalls that you will find arise, the things that you have overlooked. Having done this and refined the procedure, them role it out. Revisit and review the procedure regularly, and at the present time I would suggest for the procedure at least quaterly, and for general day to day monitoring, I would suggest some form of daily monitoring that is reviewed by a Senior Person and at least a wekly overview of the procedure and what little things have happened on a weekly basis. This review I would sugget should again be betwen a Senior manager and Safety/Security personnel. Monthly Board meetings Must include a strategic Agenda item on Safety/Security and Environment issues and I again would suggest that this be item No 1 on the Board Agenda. Of course be prepard to provide a report for this sector and to ensure that your reporting Senior manager/Safety Director is fully briefed. I hope this information is of some help and givs you some pointers. Regards. Ken URQUHART