Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2001 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Can anyone give me any information on training providers who can deliver courses on the above? It needs to include verbal abuse as well as physical. ALso any information on suppliers of alarm systems/lone worker safety equipment would be useful. Many thanks, Nick
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2001 10:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You could contact the Suzy Lamplugh Trust on 020 8392 1839 (www.suzylamplugh.org)
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2001 13:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Try Maybo on 0208 893 2635 (Bill Fox) or PEPAR Publications on 0121 428 4474 (the code for Brum has changed I think)(Willie More) Have used both for training hospital staff and they were both excellent and understand H & S as well.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2001 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Nick, The Suzy Lamplugh Trust have just introduced a video call "First Steps to Personal Safety at Work" which may interest you. Call the trust on the number Ken has given you or contact Hascombe Enterprises Ltd on 020 7945 6090/6119. There website is www.fastguides.co.uk and they are distributors. Hope this helps, Frank Cooper
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2001 17:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Dunn Nick, Lone working issues go further than just having appropriate training or equipment. It is one of ensuring that safe (safer) working practices are being employed. There are a number of service suppliers for the training of staff in dealing with abusive / violent staff and you need to be specific regarding the area of work and likely environments that your staff will find themselves in. The issues of concern regarding a lone counter worker are different in significant ways from the issues relating to persons who have to visit clients homes, or work in the country side. A case of horses for courses. Certified courses are useful in the sense that they offer comfort to staff regarding the potential for counter claims of excessive force or assault, but the key is not to be working in an unsafe way in the first place. I am working in a local authority environment, where I endeavour to get various departments to accept responsibility for their staff off site or when they are on their own for other reasons. If you contact me directly I would be more than happy to see if I can offer any assistance assuming that your identified risks are of a similar nature to those experienced in my 'industry'. You may wish to think about how you record and maintain data on places / clients which have the potential for abuse and which agencies you might wish to develop closer links with to facilitate more professional responses to situations as or when they occur. Michael
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 October 2001 22:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Gents, I thank you for your comments. Michael, I realise that this is a much wider issue than training and equipment. We are getting a safety breakthrough team together to carry out a full risk assessment. The purpose is to identify the hazards and try to identify which groups of staff are at risk. The safe system of work that will follow will inevitably centre around Supervision, instruction, training, emergencies, communication etc. I am also aware of the importance of reporting of incidents (especially persuading people to report incidences of verbal abuse) and providing support and counselling after an incident. I was asking about training and equipment so that I can get some ideas in my head to discuss at the risk assessment forum. Many thanks for your kind offer of help, I will contact you in the next couple of days. Kind regards, Nick Higginson
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 October 2001 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young A company called Senflow supplied me with a lone worker alarm system that had panic & motion sensor alarms built in. You can contact them on 02476 223579
Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 October 2001 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan Voice Connect are I believe a ?subsidiary company of BT. They provide a staff tracking and alert system which integrates into company switchboard systems. I have a contact number: Lucy Baker on 0116 2324643. I was very impressed with a presentation she gave on this system.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 18 October 2001 19:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Davies Okay, having read the responses to an often neglected subject on this forum, what exactly is 'verbal abuse' and does the recent court case on the 'f' word have an impact on exactly what isn't reported or not. Not wishing to cause problems but wishing to promote discussion. Tim
Admin  
#10 Posted : 18 October 2001 20:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Tim, Can you give some details of the court case you refer to? I've not heard anything about it. Regards, Nick
Admin  
#11 Posted : 22 October 2001 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Interesting to note a couple of instances where improvement notices have been issued for not having a risk assessment for employee exposure to violence. I would have thought this may catch a few companies out! Nick
Admin  
#12 Posted : 22 October 2001 13:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Sorry if you've been trying the Maybo number I posted earlier but I understand it's changed - try Maybo Limited on 01932 254 160 - or www.maybo.com
Admin  
#13 Posted : 29 October 2001 13:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark J. Jones Try the Suzy Lamplugh Trust on 0208 8760305.