Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 October 2001 09:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Blair
Can anyone clarify what the most commonly used safe system of work is for protecting joiners from falling between timber roof trusses during erection.

I am aware of the use of safety nets, crash decks or crash mats. But are these being used broadly in the House Building Industry.

Also, does anyone know of any case law which involves employees or public being injured from falling between timber trusses or unprotected floor joists.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2001 09:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston
I can't help you directly - but if you go to the US Safety list here

http://siri.org/mail/index.html

and search using truss as your term in the lower right search box you'll get plenty discussion including some from people in the roof truss manufacturing industry - the first hit I got answers your question
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2001 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods
Just been talking to the local UCATT rep, he says that on good sites scaffold is built up under the trusses to minimise the fall apparently this is the method preffered by the CITB and the HSE. Nets are also widely used. I recently attende a seminar on working at heights by the local HSE construction inspector. He advocated the use of nets for roofwork rather than fall arresting devises such as harnesses.

Hpoe this helps

Robert Woods...
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 October 2001 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Word of warning - be a little careful of accepting US arguments for or more likely against fall protection. OSHA allows employers not to provide fall protection in curcumstances where it can be shown to be 'unfeasible'. This is often/usually taken to mean 'awkward'! Having said that, there are several answers available to the situation involving nets and also harness protection for banksmen unavoidably standing on open decking near edges.

Allan
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 October 2001 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Blair
Thank you all for your comments.

I shall bear them in mind when I am monitoring this activity in the future.

Mr StJohn Holt, thank you for writing "The Principles of Health and Safety". It got me through my NEBOSH Certificate five years ago.

Regards,

Andrew