Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 October 2001 11:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By PAM JIBSON Does anyone have any information or advice on airborne jute fibres (from hessian potato sacks). The manufacturers hazard data sheet does not identify any hazard from jute, but surely all fibres are hazards. How far should I go in enforcing the wearing of respiratory protection? Any help would be most welcome. regards Pam
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2001 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods I found this information from the International Labour Organisation. Vegetable dusts Workers heavily exposed to dusts of raw cotton, sisal, jute and other vegetable fibres in industrial workplaces have developed various chronic lung problems such as “brown lung” (byssinosis), which begins with chest tightness and shortness of breath, and can be disabling after many years. Exposure to vegetable dusts in general may cause lung irritation or other effects such as asthma, hay fever, bronchitis and emphysema. Other materials associated with vegetable fibres, such as moulds, mildew, sizing materials and dyes, may also cause allergic or other reactions. Plants and woods Plants and woods are often classified as a separate cause of skin disease, but they can also be correctly included in the chemical grouping. Many plants cause mechanical and chemical irritation and allergic sensitization, while others have gained attention because of their photoreactive capacity. The family Anacardiaceae, which includes poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, cashew-nut shell oil and the Indian marking nut, is a well-known cause of occupational dermatitis due to its active ingredients (polyhydric phenols). Poison ivy, oak and sumac are common causes of allergic contact dermatitis. Other plants associated with occupational and non-occupational contact dermatitis include castor bean, chrysanthemum, hops, jute, oleander, pineapple, primrose, ragweed, hyacinth and tulip bulbs. Fruits and vegetables, including asparagus, carrots, celery, chicory, citrus fruits, garlic and onions, have been reported as causing contact dermatitis in harvesters, food packing and food preparation workers. Several varieties of wood have been named as causes of occupational dermatoses among lumberers, sawyers, carpenters and other wood craftspeople. However, the frequency of skin disease is much less than is experienced from contact with poisonous plants. It is likely that some of the chemicals used for preserving the wood cause more dermatitic reactions than the oleoresins contained in wood. Among the preservative chemicals used to protect against insects, fungi and deterioration from soil and moisture are chlorinated diphenyls, chlorinated naphthalenes, copper naphthenate, creosote, fluorides, organic mercurials, tar and certain arsenical compounds, all known causes of occupational skin diseases. The jute manufacturing regulations 1949ish [if my memory serves me correctly] have been replaced by COSHH and the first rule of COSHH is substitution. If you have a problem then you should look at changing the sack for paper ones. Robert Woods.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 October 2001 10:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Pam Try "www.verdantworks.com". This is the last working jute mill in Dundee, and while a heritage museum site, may be able to help Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 October 2001 12:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Markham What has to be remembered is that handling sacks made from jute is as unlikely to cause byssinosis as ironing, tumble drying and shaking out of cotton towels. Think of the lint that gathers in bathrooms! The general population is fine, dust mite allergy being more significant in domestic situations. Jute fibres are not hazardous because they are fibres, they are hazardous because they are of plant origin, and then only to those who are exposed to the levels which used to be experienced in the fibre manufacturing processes. So in summary, the manufacturers data sheet is probably correct, in that unless you are planning to shred the jute sacks on an industrial scale then there is no hazard to health from handling them to fill with potatoes. Phil Markham
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 October 2001 16:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By mike taylor Pam, if you cannot find an MEL or OES for the substance on any supply lists or schedules it may be classified as a miscellaneous dust in which case the following may be used a. 10mg/m3 as a time weighted average over an 8 hour period, of total inhaleable dust b. 4mg/m3, as a time weighted average over an 8 hour period, of respirable dust hope this helps Mike
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 October 2001 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By R.Woods Have to aggree with Paul. Your far more likely to come to harm lifting the sacks than inhaling the jute fibres. Not only that jute is a very environmentaly friendly product that provides much needed employment and income to countries in the third world. Bob
Admin  
#7 Posted : 29 October 2001 06:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Pam. The City of Dundee used to be known as the Scottish City of Jute, Jam and Journalism.(Probably still is, although McGonagal enthusiasts will probably argue that their cause is really Dundees claim to fame) The 3j's were at one time three of Dundees major industries. The jute, from as Bob Woods say's third world countries, and a lot fronm India was prepared and processed from raw fibre for many other industries and third party uses, and a large user was the Linoleumn Industry which was based in Kirkcaldy. The jam was Keillers, (Famous Dundee Marmalade amongst many other preserves and confectionery products), and the journalism was or is D C Thomson and Laing. (For the Scottish web browsers of mature years the Sunday Post and The Broons and O'ur Wullie, and for others perhaps The Peoples Friend if memory serves me correctly, to name but a few, and I think also the Dandy and the Beano) However nostalgia is not what you are really after. My point really is that the City of Dundee and its industrial Heritage must have a wealth of knowledge and an army of retired workers who can tell you all about Jute, its use and handling and any associated Health Risks, as no doubt can the Scottish offices of HSE. Probably the Dundee Chamber of Commerce or its equivilant will have archival information. (I trust that I am not being presumptive here, Dundee maybe to this day processes and handles Jute and jute products, it is many years since I was in Dundee) For further information I typed in a seacrh on "Google" and "alltheweb.com", just entered "Jute" and up came several sites, including the Indian Governments textiles and fabrics Dept and Jute production information service. Also I found a Jute Producers Trade and Product Promotion organisation, Indian based and several other references to Jute. Most of these sites had e-mail contact details so why not fire them of a question or two as well. If they are keen to maintain International credibility for their Product they will I am sure be pleased to provide you with up to the minute information. So have a go at these sources you might learn lots about Jute from all of them and supplement the information that you already have. Hope this helps and is of interest, and hope I haven't offened any Dundonians. Regards. Ken Urquhart