Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 October 2001 19:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jean Hinkley
I am looking for PPE for roadworkers using tarmac, something reasonably priced, that will provide good protection, be comfortable to wear and last for more than a couple of weeks! Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 October 2001 10:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods
Have you carried out your risk assessments?
Although the PPE required is fairly basic what suits one person may not suit another.
Birmingham City Council has had to pay £150,00 in compensation to a road worker because of injury caused by not supplying correct safety boots.

For the most basic non hi visibility [not reccomended for road work] waterproofs boots and a hard hat you are talking about £120 per person.
Realistically to give adequate protection to the workers you are looking at around £200 per person.

For suppliers try www.seton.co.uk or
http://www.arco.co.uk

If you would like information on the PPE regulations email an address.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 October 2001 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Jean.

All persons undertaking works on the public highway must wear high visibility clothing, usually in the form of 'day-glow - saturn yellow' vest/coats. Wear they will be in 'contact' with vehiclular traffic, the high-visibility clothing must have two horizontal retroreflective strips. for work on the footway where only contract with pedestrian traffic is to take place, one horizontal strip is acceptable.

In addition, overalls employed should be high visibility, usually orange.

In addition the following PPE is standard issue:

Boots/shoes/wellies/waders (depentatnt on personal preference/risk/need etc

Gloves, both leather and waterproof

Head protection, usually hard hats. personal preference for either normal or reduced peak should be allowed.

Face and eye protection when dealing with materials that may splash, such as tack coat material for bituminous materials etc, and other materials/tools employed such as breakers and portable cut-off saws, chisels, hammers and the like.

Knee pads where kneeling is required, often the case when working with paving,kerbs, manhole and other drainage covers etc.

Ear defenders for works where noise may present problems, when working with equipment such as breakers, jetting machines, excavation plant, mixers and the like.

In hot weather, suitable 'light' clothing covering arms, high factor sun creams etc.

Speacila care needs toi be taken in respect of personal hygiene when working with bituminous materials, as they are know to cause skin cancers. Hygiene training and the use of barrier creams, supply of mobile/temporary welfare facilities with soap/water etc, either in the form of portacabin type units for long term works or mobile units afixed to or in vehicles for short term/mobile works etc.

Further to this routine medical surveilance for workers in respect of potential medical health problems ought to be considered.

Suitable PPE is available from a large volume of suppliers, many of whom can be found and PPE ordered direct from the WWW. Alternatively, most have the facility on web sites to order their latest catalogue.

Hope this helps...

Best regards...

Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2001 02:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams
Bob,

the case you mentioned wasn't a road worker, it was actually the Superintendant of Highways, due to his Diabeties he had poor feeling in his feet. Due to this he didnt notice that his feet were burning until it had caused bad burns. So its important to consider PPE for the individual not the job.

Sorry about the spelling its 2am

Ashley
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 October 2001 09:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By R.Woods
Ashley,
I know what his job was i was looking at the Birmingham Evening post article as I wrote it.
Just trying to get the message across.

see you on the 8th

Bob..
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 October 2001 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jean Hinkley
Thanks for the responses to my query. Perhaps I did not make it too clear what I was looking for. Risk assessments have been done and all the necessary PPE is being provided. I am trying to find a supplier of good quality, reasonably priced clothing products i.e. trousers/jeans, sweatshirts, jackets, overalls etc. Any recommendations?

Jean