Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2001 11:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Osborne We are in the process of reviewing and revising our present system to take account of the DP Act and also make the system more user friendly. Has any Local Authority gone through this process recently and what systems are being used? Ideally I would like it to be computer based but the main problem with that will be ensuring that officers check before making visits or carrying out interviews. Any suggestions? Pete Osborne
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2001 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Don Mason Pete, We have been struggling with this one for over 6 years and still do not have an Authority wide system. Doesnt help I know, but I wish an answer was out there somewhere. Don ~~~~
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2001 18:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Davies Guys, Try contacting the Benefits Agency. They have a working system for Potentially Violent Persons that works well. I currently train BA in Potentially Violent Persons Procedures and I'm sure that if you contact them they could explain all about it. They too have had to consider not only the DPA but also the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act as well. They have procedures and systems that caters for pre interview checks or pre home visit checks, reviews of lists and so on. Tim Conflict Training Consultant
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2001 02:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams As an ex Benefits Agency Visiting Officer I'll through a spanner in the works. Yes they have a PVP database, its out of date, inaccurate, some people are added because they swore once in an interview or even because they have a big dog. Most of the visiting officers I worked with never bothered to even check their visits against the system let alone update it. Ashley
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 October 2001 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Davies Re the above: The system appears fine, it's the reality and culture that throws the spanner in the works, hence I agree with your comment. Therefore work practice and training need sorting. A very common problem. Tim