Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2001 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Further to my thread of 22/10/01 Approximately one year ago, I took on the responsibility for providing basic safety information to new employees. I am now close to completing the new "company safety booklet" I am trialing vidoes on the usual subjects, and have visual aids such as items of PPE, poster boards etc. Can anyone suggest other ways to brighten the whole affair. I would like to use a commercial ready made powerpoint based resource but I have no experience of their real worth. Is it better to stick to my own booklet or use a pre-written resource? Please help. Thanks in anticipation Andrew
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2001 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Andrew, Maybe I could put a powerpoint presentation together for you to try out. If you are interested give me a call on 020 8391 9710. Regards Phil
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2001 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kieran Duignan Andrew If raising awareness of hazards, of every kind, and interest in safety and health are what you are committed to, a well-edited newsletter can be v. effective. This can encourage both 'championing' good practice and fair expression of reasonable 'grouses'. Besides a traditional paper version, you can direct it online (perhaps through secretaries for whose lucky enough to have such twentieth-century supports!) to some folk who might not find a way to picking up the old medium. Kieran Duignan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 October 2001 19:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil haworth Just a thought. Have you thought of bringing your health & safety information to life by making your own video presentation(s). This is not expensive to do, but could be a useful resource that can save time and can be used as a reminder to more experienced staff. If you include some familiar faces e.g. current members of staff the interest level should be quite high. If you have a Resource centre you could build up a library over time of effective relevant safety training for your different departments etc.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2001 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman I would be wary of attempting a video, unless you have lots of practice it is difficult to reach "television" standards, which is what most people expect to see today. We have found that it is worth developing some expertise with power point so as to produce your own "tailor made" presentations. Incorporating digital photos or scanned images from your original handbook is not difficult. If you have access to a video projector (expensive), the quality of any presentation is enormously improved. (much better than overhead transparencies). Best of luck Merv Newman
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 October 2001 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Andrew I have an on-line learning program for safety management that you can have access to. It is open on my website and will remain so. Let me know if it is of any use to you. http://www.confinedspaces.com/oac/index.htm Regards and best wishes Ciaran mailto:ciaran@confinedspaces.com
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 November 2001 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Thanks to all those that have replied to my thread. Your offers of help and comments are greatly appreciated. In reply to some questions Powerpoint is my chosen medium. Our company does indeed have a newsletter, this is general and not H&S based but provides an excellent forum. We have thought about our producing our own H&S video, needs some serious consideration. In answer to Ciarans mesage, I have visited your website and I intend to utilise it for refresher H&S training for some staff, however the context of my thread was more towards basic H&S training for new employees. Has anyone bought or considered buying a pre-written H&S traiing package? Thanks again for all replies Regards Andrew
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 November 2001 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike McDonnell like previous replies we ( Co-op) have made our own videos, manual handling ; slips trips and falls; vehicle movements / delivery intreface. each is only 10 mins long and made at what we consider to be reasonable costs. To aid learaning transfer, we have produced a booklett for each video which contains a quiz that delagates compleate and return to the trainer. In fact this appoach has been so sucsseful IOSH have allowed us to make this a part of the 'Working Safely Assessment'. Other techniques I employ are case study exercises, including role play's involving syndicate groups, feed back to the CEO, and accident investigation exercises. All the above helps make are courses lively & interesting, though they can be demanding to present, as internally presented courses, they are always in demand. if you want to discuss the above give me a bell on 0161 827 5332 regards Mike