Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2001 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Waldie
I am a Safety advisor at a medium size manufacturing company.

SH&E is taken very seriously throughout the company and on balance we achieve a consistently high level of safety performance.

However our safety committee has been ineffective for many years and one of my objectives for next year is to “revitalise the safety committee”.

Has anyone been through this scenario before, what did you do and did it work ?.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2001 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Wilkes
The HSE have produced a Contract Research Report CRR 291/2000 which gives examples of different types of worker involvement from the chemical industry which you may find useful.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards

Barry
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2001 16:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
I've found the most effecctive way is to give all members something to do instead of sitting there and counting the coffee cups. Last time I did this exercise we identified twelve (one per month) main hazard areas of the business and got a member to do some auditing and research and present a short summary to the appropriate month's committee meeting. For example, January was Housekeeping, February was Occupational Health and so on. Of course some extra training was needed for all and this proved an added interest factor.

What you do NOT want to happen is that management starts shifting some of the H&S management aspects on to the Committee. Hope this sparks an idea or twelve...

Allan