Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 November 2001 22:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian stevenson
I have carried out an indoor lighting assessment in an area where workers are constantly reading written information. The light readings were measured at around 150 Luxes. I understand they should be a minimum of 300 luxes. Any comments would be welcome.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2001 06:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Sargeant
I had a similar problem not so long back, I found my local electrical wholesaler was most helpful in selecting some replacement light fittings which did the job.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2001 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Ian,
Have you tried the HSE publication "Lighting at work"? I think it's only abou £5.

Nick
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2001 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Ian

Lighting at Work - HSG38 was £9.25 when I bought a copy. For offices, it recommends an average illuminance of 200 lux for offices with a minimum of 100 lux.

Regards

Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 November 2001 05:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Ian,

The law, Regulation 8 of the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 requires that:

(1) Every workplace shall have suitable and sufficient lighting.

(2) The lighting mentioned in paragraph
(1) shall, so far as is reasonably practicable, be by natural light.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), suitable and sufficient emergency lighting shall be provided in any room in circumstances in which persons at work are specially exposed to danger in the event of failure of artificial lighting.

Whilst lighting levels are specified in HSG 38 Lighting at work, it should be remembered that these are minimum levels, which appear to be derived from the CIBSE 1967 code for interior lighting.

Good lighting is specified in the current edition of the CIBSE code for interior lighting (1994). This recommends an illumination level of 500 Lux for general offices.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 November 2001 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard
Ian

Further to Paul's comment, I always try to achieve 250 at the actual point where the reading/writing takes place ie at the desktop.

This allows for vignetting at edges/corners of the workstation

Richard
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 November 2001 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
There seem to be various recommendations around on this subject. 300lux is recommended school classroom level. Americans seem to prefer at least 500. 300 has been said to be preferred when using computer screens, the suppliers of light meters tend to include recommended levels for different types of work, etc, etc. In any event 150, almost certainly, will be inadequate for your staff's needs and will require uprating. Sometimes replacing tubes or changing single tube luminaires for doubles is all that is needed.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 06 November 2001 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian stevenson
Thank to all who have replied to my question. The information has been usefull.