Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2001 13:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Harry Ceebas
A friend told that his was a great site for information so im giving it a try.

Could anyone help me. I am required to complete a project entitled "Asbestos - Controling the risks during removal" I have as much background information as i need on Asbestos itself but i have no information on the removal process. i need to know this to help identify such risks.

Has anyone any ideas?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2001 14:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
Try this site. They are HSE leaflets on asbestos

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/asbindex.htm
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2001 17:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Bennion
Harry,

There are various useful guides available by the HSE depending on weather the asbestos requires a contractor to hold a HSE Licence or not.

HSG 189/1 - Controlled asbestos stripping techniques for work requiring a licence

HSG 189/2 - Working with asbestos cement

HSG 210 - Asbestos Essentials - Task Manual

EH51 - Enclosures provided for work with asbestos insulation, coatings & insulating board

EH10 - Asbestos: exposure limits and measurement of airbourne dust concentrations

All of these documents are useful, along with trade associations guidance such as ARCA (asbestos removal contractors association)

A few simple rules to remember when choosing a removal technique:

Does the asbestos need to be removed?

What type of ACM are you dealing with, and what is the quantity, condition and accessability?

Dry stripping is NOT an option!! (except control at source such as shadow vacuuming while unscrewing ceiling tiles)

Use controlled wet stripping techniques, such as "cut & wrap", low pressure injection, low pressure spraying, shadow vacuuming, etc.

Use wetting agents and a combination of the above controls

Adequate air management such as Negative pressure units (NPU) should be used

RPE should not be used as the only contol of exposure (ensure it is suitable and sufficient - HSE guide HSG 53)

I could probably write this list all day. If you have any specific issues, drop me an e-mail

Regards

Richard