Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2001 20:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey I have in the last few weeks come across fire doors in several types of premises that have had some form of security device to provide break in protection. However my understanding I feel is clear in that when people are in the building, fire doors should not be fastened and should open in a single action in the direction of travel. However where do you draw the line on fastening? Today I came across two door which where secured top and bottom by a double latch system, the handles looked like large wing nuts at the top and bottom and in reality where difficult to open, even if you knew they were there. What would be unacceptable to a fire authority, or is that a “depends where you live” question.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2001 08:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Allan Peter I share your viewpoint, that when a building is occupied, then fire doors must be unlocked. In an emergency, no one should have to go through a convoluted evolution to open a door. I picked up that one client always left the steel roller shutter door down at one exit, which could only be opened from the outside and of course when we went to open it, it had siezed through lack of use. However, security is an issue with many organisations, with insurance sometimes insisting on a high level to prvent thefts. Back to the balancing act - a fire door is not a fire door when its locked and bolted, nor is it a security door when its not. Fire doors can be fitted with security alarms so they can be left unmanned and a management system must be in place to ensure that they are always unlocked when the building is occupied. Reasonably cheap and generally satisfactory method, needs initial training and monitoring though. Hope this helps David
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2001 08:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor This will, as you suggest, tend to be a matter for the judgement of the visiting fire officer - if one has visited at all. However, this will not remove the employer's duty to carry out a fire risk assessment and the standard guidance for final exit doors from designated escape routes remains for a single action as you describe. I't the old problem of security -v- fire safety again - but a single 'panic-bolt' or pad with multi-point action should do the job. On occasions where single snibs have been accepted, they have, at least needed easy operation and accompanying signs indicating the direction in which to turn them in order to open the door! Having said all this, I have found that schools tend to have lots of barrel-bolts and the like at the tops and bottoms of their numerous exit doors - perhaps related to the risk of arson by intruders outside working hours!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 December 2001 21:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary Cutter Hi Peter You are absolutely dead right. Fire doors should normally open in the direction of escape. Fastening on doors should be limited to one single acting device, which should not require the use of a key i.e. panic bolt, redland type bolt, single draw bolt, yale lock etc. Perhaps just one of those devices you have described may be ok, provided its easy to operate. Any doubts on acceptability give the brigade a ring and describe the type of occupancy. Hope that helps Gary Cutter Chair Fire Risk Management Group
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2001 09:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Gary I understand that while simple hand operated devices such as bolts are generally acceptable, they should not be used where large numbers of the public are involved. Am I right? (I get 20,000 visitors a month!) Laurie
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2001 18:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey The types of fastening that I described, were security bolts which moved into the door frame with three positive turns of the handles, one on the top, one on the bottom. The building was a Local authority community Centre used for all sorts of activities. I was interested in the fact that "users" had to remember to unbolt these prior to using the building otherwise, they would not get out in and emergency, especially if you had 30 under fives screaming all around you!! Peter Harvey