Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2001 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Anybody know a synonym for Ammonium Hydroxide? I've got a reference to it, but can't find it in any of the usual places Thanks Laurie
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2001 16:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Laurie, Apologies if you get this message twice - Gremlins are at work! Try Ammonia Solution(s) as a starter. Then Ammonium Aqueous or Ammoium Hydroxide Solutions. (If you use "Google" as a search engine and enter Ammonium Hydroxide it brings up a number of Hazard Data Sheets which may be of use to you.) Hope this helps, Frank Cooper
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2001 17:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The golden oldies amongst us will also remember Sal Ammoniac. A certain Mrs Thatcher will remember this as she still thinks of sulphuretted hydrogen. Seriously though the hazards are so close to those of ammonia gas itself that the applicability of the individual hazards are not readily distinguishable, other than the liquid - gas one which speaks for itself
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 November 2001 20:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. Laurie, Ammonium Hydroxide: Synonyms: Aqua ammonia, ammonium hydrate, ammonia aqueous solution. CAS no 1336-21-6 Hope this helps if you want further information forward me your fax no and I will send you a copy of the relevant MSDS. Keith.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2001 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Thanks everybody - that gives me enough to go on. Laurie
Admin  
#6 Posted : 21 November 2001 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Just to avoid any confusion - important when dealing with a substance as nasty as ammonium hydroxide - sal ammoniac is ammonium chloride salt, a RELATIVELY safe material, though corrosive to metals (the stuff that used to leak from torch batteries). Sulphuretted hydrogen is an entirely unrelated - though equally nasty - gas, hydrogen sulphide. A common synonym for aqueous ammonia in the USA (common source of hazard info on the net) is ammonia liquor or liquor ammonia. John
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 November 2001 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis You are right it was sal volatile I should have written. A significant number of the ammonia salts and solutions are corrosive. I was most taken by Mrs Thatcher when she visited the lab. I worked in back in 1978, we forget she was trained as a chemist back in the '30's. Still it is good to know there are people with my sort of memories around still