Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2001 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Taylor
Can anyone give me an example of how an employee could be prosecuted under H& S legislation and suggest a past case for reference
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2001 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams
John,

All employees have duties under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (section 7) to look after themselves and others while at work and not interfere with anything provided for health and safety reasons.

In addition, under the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 employees have a duty to report failures in any health and safety measures applied at work and conform with health and safety instructions.

If an employee is negligent in discharging his legal duties as an employee, then theoretically they could be prosecuted. Such prosecutions are extremely rare and usually involved either horseplay that ended in a serious accident or gross negligence on behalf of individual employees.

If this should happen its safe to assume the company would be along side them in the dock for lack of supervision (Section 22)

Cant remember the case name, but it should be in croners it relates to a 21yr old been thrown into a vat of hot mashmallows. Cant name company incase its the wrong one.

Ashley

Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2001 14:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods
Looking at the safety representatives thread in the study support forum may help.

In general I would say that it is unusual for a worker to be prosecuted for breaches of health and safety legislation normally it would be for horseplay which resulted in someone being injured.

This could also land the employer in the dock for lack of supervision.

One case in point is that of a 17 year old youth who was locked in a toilet at a fertiliser factory by another employee who poured acid on the floor which reacted with fertiliser dust which produced toxic fumes.
The employee was fined £150 for a breach of section 7, with £150 costs and £50 compensation.

For every case like this there are thousands of cases of the employer being prosecuted.

Robert Woods MBAOHSF MHM
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2001 19:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
Dear John

I agree with the previous respondents. I do, however recall a case where it was not horseplay.

The case was following a death at British Steel,and was heard at Scunthorpe Magistrates in 1999. A crane driver was fined £1500 for failing to use machinery in accordance with instructions. He did not use the safety isolation switch to stop the tongs from opening. The tongs opened, allowing a lifting beam to fall on a manager and kill him.

An unusual case.

Jane
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2001 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Allen
Just as well no one wants to write about Arsenal!

To return to the original theme of this thread the prosecution of employees is an interesting topic. When I was a Factory Inspector I was often asked by employers why employees were not prosecuted more often particularly as many accidents appeared to be the fault of employees who failed to follow the safety rules that had been laid down.

I never prosecuted an employee but I did witness a trial in which this happened. The HSW act requires employers to go so far as is reasonably practicable. If an employer has stopped even a little way short of this then it becomes the employee's defence even if the employee has been the architect of his own misfortune.

In retrospect I think the law was designed this way. The employer controls access to work, the system, equipment, pace of work etc. and has the biggest influence on preventing accidents. The employee brings his own skill and commitment to the job and that's about it.

Put it another way - we hear a lot nowadays about the employee having the right to stop the job if it is unsafe but this is a last ditch situation. There must have been a massive failure further back in the system if we get to that situation. The employer's duty cannot be delegated to the employee.

Regards

John

Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 November 2001 22:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson
I tried the HSE prosecutions site -http://www.hse-databases.co.uk/prosecutions/ -and searched under "cases" for Section 7. It came up with 3. I am aware of several cases but I'll not post them 'til I get into work on Monday so I get the details correct. All the successful cases I am aware of were under 7(a). The only 7(b) case I'm aware of is one where the defendant was found not guilty. Does anyone know one which succeeded?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2001 20:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson
In 1995 a chemistry teacher was fined £1100. The teacher was using a gas jar and deflagrating spoon to demonstrate the effect of burning sodium in an atmosphere of chlorine gas and again in an atmosphere of bromine gas.

His final experiment was to demonstrate that bromine forms an acidic solution when dissolved in water. As the teacher began to wash out the gas jar it exploded (probably because it contained a residue of sodium from the previous experiment). The prosecution stated that Clwyd County Council had issued a Code of Practice to the school regarding practical sessions. The
teacher was not following the Code when the accident occurred. He should have conducted the experiment behind a safety screen and the pupils should have been wearing safety spectacles.

Another teacher was fined £250 with £4,324 costs when demonstrating to 6th Form pupils a casting operation. He (assisted by pupils) poured molten aluminium into a mold when there was an explosion. The teacher and 4 pupils were injured. The explosion was caused by moisture in the mold. The
Prosecution case was that the risks could have been reduced if protective equipment had been used and the pupils were further away. The Defence made points about the protective equipment being inadequate; the risks having not been properly assessed; and that the teacher had not attended any health
and safety training in 20 years at the school. However it was only the teacher that was prosecuted because the HSE inspector said that although there were flaws there was insufficient evidence to prosecute the LEA or the school.

The 7(b) case involved a lecturer in a college. A third year undergraduate student had been attempting to make heterocyclic compound from sodium azide and cyanogen azide. He was working under the supervision of the lecturer. There was an explosion which took off his thumb. The lecturer was charged with failing to co-operate with the college (his employer) in that he caused
the college to break the Management regs by failing to make a suitable and
sufficient assessment of the risks. The judge decided that the Prosecution's evidence would not secure a conviction because it could not be said that the lecturer's risk assessment was not "suitable and sufficient". There were some slightly bizarre aspects to the case: The judge did not have a copy of the Health and Safety at Work Act; and the judge said that he could see "no evidence in law that the risk assessments required by the Health and Safety Act have to be written down" (!).

There was also a case, but I do not have the details to hand, in which a supervisor was injured because a guard was defective. He was on a shift system and there were four other supervisors carrying out the same task in the same work area on different shifts. All four of the other supervisors were prosecuted because they had not reported the broken guard to their employer. (This was
under Section 7(a) well before the Management Regulations).

Admin  
#8 Posted : 26 November 2001 23:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By martin knox
John,

SHP April 2001, a lift truck driver was fined £500 for endangering the lives of his colleagues when he dropped a one-tonne LPG Cylinder from his vehicle. He then absconded from the scene, leaving it leaking for 75 minutes.

He was charged under section 7 HSWA, indeed he had been moving this tank without authorisation from his employer, therefore he was on a folly of his own, probably why the employer was not charged.

I have read the responses to your string with interest, and I am suprised that people seem to think that prosecuting employees is rather unusual or even rare.

All we have to do, is, look back through issues of SHP, RoSPA Safety Express and BSC's Risk Management publications, case law is their.

If as stated, an employee is involved with horseplay the employer may well escape prosecution, however if the employee is a known practical joker etc. the opposite may apply, it all depends on the specifics of each individual matter.

A second case involves the prosecution of managers etc. after 2 fatalities, this was a case recently publicised, in the publications above. 2 employees were instructed to crawl into the access panelling of an oven which required maintenance to be carried out, sadly this was not done when the oven had completely cooled down after 24 hrs.

Subsequently 2 people died due to the high temperatures they encountereed. Managers were prosecuted under Sec 37, receiving fines, and maintenance technicians were prosecuted under Sec 7, if my memeory serves me right they all were handed fines ranging from £600-£2000.

I feel they were extremely fortunate not to lose their liberty, yet they will have to live with the consequences of their actions for the rest of their lives.

I hope this has been of assistance.

Regards

Martn Knox

Admin  
#9 Posted : 28 November 2001 20:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Kirton
John

As has been mentioned before prosecutions against employees appear to be extremely rare.

However, I seem to remember a local new item in July?which featured a London Underground Manager. Apparently he was responsible for causing injuries (not fatal) to two men who worked on live rails.

He was found guilty and was fined personally maximum £5,000 and had to pay compensation to the two injured persons. I believe his employers fate will be decided towards the end of this year.

If anyone knows the case and the result of his employers, could you let us know please.

Peter K
Admin  
#10 Posted : 28 November 2001 22:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
The manager that is referred to is known as "Dangerous Dave" and is/was a LUL track manager. He and LUL were prosecuted by the HSE (HMRI). I am currently waiting for a report on the incident, as much of what I have heard has not been sibstaintiated. I work for LUL I regret to say.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 30 November 2001 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark A. Bush
I have found 20 cases of Section 7 HASAWA breaches on the HSE prosecutions database.

Go in to advanced search, act section, 7 and then GO.

You can look at the case details and related cases to see if the employer was also prosecuted.

Interesting stuff. Happy hunting.

Admin  
#12 Posted : 30 November 2001 17:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson
Nice one Mark. But when I did it there were 33 cases! Am I missing something - they all seemed to fit the criteria
Admin  
#13 Posted : 03 December 2001 10:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark A. Bush
Brian, I think I was missing something. Just done the search again and got 32. At least we are only one away now.

Cases to note are Goodwin, Keating, Masters, Rivers, Nicholls, Hanrahan, Gittings, McKay, Courts and Sutcliffe.

These are certainly the ones I will be using as examples in training.