Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2001 13:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter S
I am up-dating our alcohol & drug policy.
I would appreciate a look at one that has been written if anyone is willing.

Thanks In Anticipation

Pete
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 December 2001 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Uday
Hi Peter,

This is our ALCOHOL & DRUGS POLICY which could be of help to you.

The following is part of our terms and conditions of employment and is strictly adhered to :

. Being at work whilst impaired by drugs, or alcohol is strictly prohibited.

. The illicit use of legal drugs or the use,possession,distribution or sale of illegal drugs are strictly prohibited.

. All our employes should be totally competent to carry out their respective tasks and to excercise their responsibilities during working hours and whilst on duty.

. Failure to comply with any of the above will lead to disciplinary measures which will ultimately include dismissal.

Staff who feel that they are exposed or vulnerable to alcohol are encouraged to seek medical advise and to follow appropriate treatment promptly.

This policy of ours is signed by the Director of our company and dated.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2001 12:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House
The company I work for has a similar policy, but with one addition (both for drugs and alcohol). This is that if a person has an addiction to one of the above, they should contact the HR manager, and agree to seek medical advice. We also offer a support scheme which they can use if they wish. As long as they continue to work towards curing their adiction, and as long as they provide the HR Manager and Safety Advisor with regular updates/ proof, and also, as long as they are not causing a potential hazard to either themselves or other employees, then the company may take a more sympatheitc view, rather than immediately taking steps to dismiss them.

This may sound a little long winded, but hopefully it will be of some help.

Regards,

Nick.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 December 2001 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter S
Many Thanks For Your Responses I Appreciate All The Help

All The Best For Christmas & New Year

Peter