Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2001 04:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny MA Can anyone highlight me what are the risks or how to know the risks, for CEOs' travel on means e.g. plane, ship etc. and the place to be traveled especially after the U.S. terrorist attacks. Any web sites or publications relate to these?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 December 2001 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John D Crosby Danny In my last organisation we used to receive a bulletin warning of which countries or even parts of countries that were a risk. As far as I can remember it came from either the Foriegn Office or the Home Office. Suggest you ring their helplines Cheers John C
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 December 2001 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts Danny, As John mentioned, the Foreign Office has a vast amount of information regarding overseas travel. Try the website at: http://www.fco.gov.uk/travel/default.asp Phil
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 December 2001 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dr. Andrew Rankine Hi Danny, Universities send staff (and indeed students) abroad constantly. We refer to guidance produced by members of our own safety association and published by the Universities and Colleges Employers Association (UCEA). This is called "Health and Safety Guidance When Working Overseas", available from UCEA, Woburn House, 20 Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9HU. £9-00. The answer predictably is to do a risk assessment. This booklet will tell you how, and it's not too focused on the education sector.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 December 2001 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip Roberts Danny, In my haste I forgot to mention that there is an excellent IOSH document in the 'Technical Information' section of this web-site written by George Wedgewood and entitled 'Safety in the global village' It contains a lot of useful information, not least a list of useful contacts on the last page. Try it out. Phil
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2001 09:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Well I have to admit this thread surprises me. The risks of travelling abroad for a CEO! What about the poor sods in the company that have to do it on a regular basis? The plane truth is the world is no more dangerous now than it was on the 10th of September. It just happened that on the 11th of September some mad men decided to crash planes all over America. The risks were always there, that something like this could happen. If we want to discuss topics like this please remember that it applies to all staff in the organisation and not just the suits at the top. It may upset CEO’s but as far as health and safety is concerned they are just as important as the office junior, the shop floor apprentice and the cleaners
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 December 2001 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Lusby If you are talking about travel in far off places, with considerably different cultures to our own. I am thinking of areas where bribes are a routine transaction, where any internal road travel will require the provisions of guards and the CEO and any other workers may require guards to sleep outside the rooms etc.Where internal air travel (Or any sort of travel) is a considerably more risky activity than the west. You need will need to assess how you are going to get them in, how you are going to protect them when they are there, and how you will get them out if things go to plan or worse if they go pear shaped. Try the Foreign office, or the CIA website for background, and talk to other companies that do business there and see if you can use their systems. In these countries every foreign worker is at some risk, the CEO will be seen to be worth more at least as a lever to extract money out of your company. Regards Nigel
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 December 2001 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Well said Ashley and so polite...
Admin  
#9 Posted : 07 December 2001 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Danny MA Dear Ashley & others, I am a British citizen, also a Chinese born & living in Hong Kong. I hold the qualifications of MIOSH & RSP if just to U.K. prospectives. I fully agree with your points that as a safety & risk professional, I have to take care the well-being of every individual, not just the CEO. Everybody who had replied me therefore not pointing at CEO safety but in general across the board. I feel so good that my chat could attract so many feedback no matter which positive or negative but a form of communication I wished to have. I love all of you who had given me ideas or will give (if any), people in the Great Britain.