Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2001 09:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP Help please- Has anyone experience of increasing the numbers of under-represented groups (eg Ethnic Minorities, the Disabled etc)?- We are a local authority and want to make our workforce similar to our customer base. Any ideas greatfully received. Thanks Francis
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 December 2001 09:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment This may not be politically correct but whatever happened to the "person best suited for the job"? I'd rather be dealt with by a competent person whatever race, creed, religion, sex etc, than by a incompetent second best. You could contact any one of the London Borough Personnel Depts for further advice though.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 December 2001 10:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I agree with Bryn on this. I was, when such a thing existed, registered disabled. I've applied for posts with local councils. Their application forms state all disabled ethnic etc will be given an interview. When filling out the application I’ve not answered the question "are you disabled", as I want to get to the interview on my merits. If that means missing a job then so be it, I won't be patronised and I guess there are many in the same situation. I did once get a council interview and some little jobs worthy started on at me about not declaring my disability. She also asked me how many coloured friends I had; I could not answer, as I don’t categorise my friends in that way. I got up and walked out. It seems to me that councils particularly are obsessed with these things. Although I am very seriously job hunting I will not even consider council posts now.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2001 11:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett I used to work for an organisation in which the number of Asian employees could be counted on the fingers of one hand, despite our being based in an area with a very large Asian community. No matter where or how we advertised, there were very few applicants from that background. To my mind this spoke volumes about the way the organisation was regarded by people from the ethnic minority communities, and unless you can change that perception about your authority, not all the initiatives in the world will improve your recruitment figures. If it will help I can put you in touch with my current employer's Black Workers' Forum who I'm sure would be pleased to try and help, as may most Trade Unions. I also agree with Bryn and Jim that it should be the person who's best that gets the job and not the person who improves the statistics. As a woman in what is still a male-dominated profession I would rather get the job because I'm a reasonably competent safety adviser and not because I was the only one who turned up for the interview in a frock. Hope this helps a bit! Regards, Zoe
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 December 2001 12:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP In reply:- Yes of course, "The best person for the job". However, how do you move towards receiving a "fair" proportion of enquiries from under-represented groups? I think the last respondant hit on an important point- that it depends on the public's opinion- but this can't be changed overnight.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 December 2001 16:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts As someone who has been looking for a new position for the past two years due to poor pay and lack of support I am appalled at job adverts that gaurantee an interview to ethnic minorities or disabled. I have had fourteen interviews in the last six months only because I did not disclose my age (59). In the previouse six months when I did disclose my age I only had one interview and that was with a local authority just going through the motions as the vacancy was filled the day of my interview by an internal candidate who had been told of the appointment two hours befor my interview. I have contacted all of the employers who have interviewd me to assertain what I am doing wrong and without exception it was just growing old. So to all those do gooders looking to be fair to everyone so long as they are ethnic or disabled "WHAT ABOUT AGE DISCRIMINATIO"?.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 December 2001 16:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Francis This thread has generated rather more heat than light You'll find some illumination here http://www.diversity-whatworks.gov.uk/ anmd for a distinctly local government perspective try here http://www.lg-employers.gov.uk/about.html