Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2001 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eddie Newall I would be interested to know any views regarding the obligations of universities towards students, who are not employees in the usual sense, whose health may be affected by course-related stress. This relates to students on vocational programmes, such as nursing students, whose course is full time in that a full 5 days per week are often required in order to complete the requred number of hours in both the university and in practical placements. Does the university have the same legal obligations for its students' welfare that an employer has towards its employees?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2001 12:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Fisher Eddie Whilst I cannot give you definitive response to your question I would like to offer an opinion. I believe that if nothing else universities/colleges etc have a moral "duty" to their students, whether full-time or part-time. Of course their ability to "manage" is different, it is more a case of "positive" support during study and should a problem start to manifest itself, at that time. What do others think? Bill
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 December 2001 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Eddie, I work in the Safety Services Office of a university; here, student welfare is dealt with by a separate department. It is not treated as a "health and safety at work" matter. I would say that there seems to be good provision of study support, advice and welfare services, counselling etc., as well as a medical service. In fact, in my opinion there is better provision of such services for students than for staff. If you are a H&S professional in a University, the Universities Safety Association would be helpful to you - their forum, hasnet-link, would I'm sure produce plenty of replies as members are usually willing to share experiences.