Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2001 16:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sara Spence Does any one have any experience in extracting these from printer manufacturers? So far only Lexmark have responded to my request with any kind of sensible response. Is there another way to obtain this information other than through the manufacturer? Are these sheets published somewhere? I would be grateful for any responses/advice/direction pointing. If it's just a case of phoning and phoning, I'll plug on!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 December 2001 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Houghton Sara, Just a possibility - I assume that what you are looking for is the sixteen-point data sheet to use as the starting point of a COSHH Assessment - these are normally called Material Safety Data Sheets. Perhaps if you ask for this you will have more success. Off the top of my head, my understanding of the legal position is that for substances classified as hazardous under CHIP, the requirement is for the supplier to provide the data sheet. If the material is not hazardous then there is no requirement at present to supply this kind of data sheet, though many organisations will provide one anyway. The requirement to provide information under section 6 of HASAWA will always apply to suppliers and manufacturers. Hope that this helps a little, Brian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 December 2001 11:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sara Spence I would like to say a big thank you to all of you who e-mailed me with advice on this topic and especially to Ashley Williams who did a remarkable amount of research in a very short period of time. Thanks loads - I'm very grateful indeed. Have a good holiday everyone.