Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2001 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Annetta Maslen I am aware of recent advice and info from the HSE regarding management of call centres and we have spent a lot of time and involved our staff in the selection of headphones for staff who are required to take phone calls and access computerised records simultaneously. However, we have a problem with a minority who insist that the headphones give them headaches and they refuse to wear them. I am concerned that the end result will be that they suffer back/neck/WRULD's by adopting unsafe working practices. I would be interested to know if anyone else has met with similar resistance and how they have dealt with it. Many thanks in anticipation! Happy Christmas to all.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2001 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Maddock Annetta, are the complaints regarding the weight and fitting of the headphones or is it to do with the perceived sound quality and volume?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 December 2001 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Hi Annetta, If you email me, I can possibly offer some advice on specification of headphones if this is the issue, as I am employed by a call centre style company (a forward thinking one, and not a draconian one I might add), and we have already travelled this route with considerable success. Regards, Nick.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 December 2001 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Has anyone raised the issue of Acoustic shock? or is it simply the headphones are uncomfortable. If they have Acoustic shock ptoblems, e-mail me and ill send you some information on the subject. Ashley
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2001 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Annetta Maslen Thanks for your responses to date. Paul - the complaints are about the weight of the headband, size of the earpiece as well as the quality of the sound - not the volume though. Nick and Ashley - I have e-mailed you both!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2001 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Maddock Annetta, sound like the headphones choosen have not been chosen with consideration for the used in their fit. I find that it is a good solution to obtain a range of 'samples' from suppliers and allow the staf to try the headphones and ideally choose their own. Understandably this may cost more, but in the long term i'm sure it would lead to a more content workplace and less time take off with ill-health associated with the use of unsuitable headphones. Good sound quality is essential, if the earpieces do not fit (I sincerely hope that these are not the in-ear type, as these are the potentially most damaging); then the operators will be inclided to increase the volume, running the risk of noise induced hearing damage in the long term, along with raised blood pressure and the stress caused by noise. Hope this helps somewhat, and best regards of the season.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 December 2001 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Annetta Maslen Hate to say it Paul, but users were involved and had the final choice in headphoness, and this is in part where the problem lies. The Manager feels that they are being "difficult" but if a member of staff complains that the equipment is giving them a headache can we insist that the headphones be worn? My view is that we cannot insist - but have to strike a difficult balance between efficient working practices and ensuring that workstations are not hazardous to health. The Manger wants a disclaimer on file that this employee has refused to wear equipment provided - and I have advised against this.