Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2001 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By William O'Donnell Hi, I'am a first time user of the forum page, and look forward to a long and productive relationship from you all. My question relates to COSH Assessments. A group of workers have a hut, near to a river bank, where they have their breaks and lunch. It has been recognised that there is a risk from rats in the nearby river, is it necessary to carry out an assessment with regards to COSH, THE HAZARD BEING WEILS DISEASE, I would be gratefull for any advice on this matter
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2001 18:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson The answer is yes, a coshh assessment and the prevention or control of exposure is needed, providing that the exposure is caused by an activity at work, under the control of the employer. This is because Leptosira sp are a ‘substance hazardous to health’ by virtue of being a ‘biological agent’ as defined by the regulations. a ‘substance hazardous to health’ means any substance (including any preparation) which is- ... (c) a biological agent; 'biological agent’ means any micro-organism, cell culture, or human endoparasite, including any which have been genetically modified, which may cause any infection, allergy, toxicity or otherwise create a hazard to human health. hope this helps regards adrian watson
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2001 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis I feel I have to disagree as to a COSHH assessment as the use of the term biological agent was intended for use when the agent is involved as part of the process. However you will need a risk assessment under the Mangement Regs as the provision and use of temporary welfare in these situations is a significant risk. The assessment must include the washing arrangements and any food storage etc. I actually feel that the emphasis on COSHH has led to a belief that these are somehow individual and separate when they are a bit more detailed and specific to substances in use, thus are part of the overall scheme. As a footnote if the work falls within the definitions of construction as per CHSW regs 1996 then there are reasonably specific regulations on the matter. Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2001 09:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The problem is that, in addition to Leptospirosis, there is a range of other hazards from bacteria, viruses, spores, allergens, etc that may also be involved (eg Tetanus, Toxacara, LCM, rat bite fever, etc, etc. I suspect that most of us will lump these together as the health risk from infection through contact, inhalation or ingestion on our general risk assessments and then come up with the necessary safe working methods and personal protective equipment (all in writing of course). I trust that this should satisfy the requirements of both COSHH and the HSE.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2001 11:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Judas Smith I think you should follow the advice of Adrian: COSHH 1999, Control of biological agents ACOP requires you to carry out an assessment for Category 2 pathogens as identified by Categorisation of biological agents according to hazard and categories, second supplement, issued by the Advisory committee on Dangerous Pathogens. The copy I have is fourth ed 1995. See paragraph 10 (ii) of the ACOP. Regards Judas
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2001 18:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc Leptospirosis icteroheamorrhagiae (Weils disease) and Leptospirosis Hardjo are classified as zoonoses and are therefore subject to COSHH assessment. HSE information sheet 'Agriculture information sheet No 2 (revised)' states quite clearly that a COSHH risk assessment should be conducted for both forms of the disease. HSE leaflet 'IND(g)84L Leptospirosis' gives information on the disease for your further information. Both the leaflets can be sourced free of charge from WWW.HSEBOKKS.CO.UK Regards
Admin  
#7 Posted : 21 December 2001 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By William O'Donnell Thank you to everyone who responded to my question on COSHH Assessments for weils desease, lots of usefull information,