Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2001 17:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joao Pinto I am starting a Health, Safety and Ergonomics library and I want to know: What's the best health and safety or ergonomics related book that you've read and would recommend to others? If you please, reply back with the the ame of your favourite book(s),the author and also why you'd recommend it to others. Thanks in advance. Best Regards
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2001 18:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear Joao, The best introductory ergonomics book are ergonomics for man isbn 0-7484-0079-6 & ergonomic check points isbn 92-2-109442-1 Other books I would recommend are; Bodyspace isbn 0-7484-0326-4 Fitting the task to man isbn 0-7484-0665-4 With regards to health & safety, what subject do you want to consider, general; safety management: improving performance isbn 0-07-016410-x Occupational hygiene; The occupational environment its evaluation & control isbn 0-932627-82-x Regards adrian
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2001 22:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd Joao, Try contacting the publishers "Taylor & Francis" (they have a website) - they produce a lot of good ergonomics books. As an introductory book, I like "Ergonomics for Beginners" by Dull & Weerdmeester (2nd ed.) IOSH have just published another by Twiss and McKeown (almost no pictures though). "Fitting the task to the man" by Grandjean (now editted by Kroemer I think. "Ergonomics, Work & Health" by Pheasant (Macmillan Press) Best of luck.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 December 2001 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston I'd echo the recommendation for Fitting the Task to the Human, K. Kroemer and the late E. Grandjean isbn 0748406654 (a snip at £19.99) Donald Norman's "The Design of Everyday things" (the hardback's called "The Pyschology of everyday things")while not generally advertised as an ergonomics title, is all about the design of the human/machine interface - I'd warmly recommend it to anyone in the health and safety field. Pricey, but worth investigating - especially if you're not paying out of your own pocket: Ergonomics Application in the workplace - a distance learning package for Health and Safety Enforcement Officers http://www.virart.nott.a...distance%20learning.html I found it just as applicable to health and safety advisers as to enforcemen officers.