Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 December 2001 15:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I've just received a safety warning that an electric arc, such as when throwing a heavy duty swith, produces microwaves which remove the fluid between the eye and the lens, resulting in the the whole cornea being removed, and instant blindness, when the contact lens is removed. Is this another version of the old chestnut about contact lenses being welded to the eye, or is this a genuine, recently identified, hazard? Laurie
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2001 16:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Sounds like a load of old shoe repairers to me. The damage is usually done to the retina by uv radiation produced by the electric arc. Remember the lens, whether natural or prosthetic, focusses light etc on the back of the eye. The result is the well known condition of arc-eye
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2001 17:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Usher This is definitely the same old chestnut - We received the same safety alert recently. It was quickly followed by a retraction. Believe it or not,this story has been on the go since 1973! John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 December 2001 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Juliet Fennell The above has confused me, I always believed that contacts & welding were a hazard as the contact could become welded to the lens. Does the above mean this is not the case? Juliet. PS Happy Christmas & Happy New Year to all.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 December 2001 15:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David M. Shearer Laurie, As stated by John UV radiation or Arc Eye as it more commonly known is the hazard. having worked in the Oil & gas industry for twenty plus years and construction in the same period plus eight years as a self-employed safety advisor this is a non starter. Contact lense wearers using the appropriate protection suffer no extra risk, others working in the area should be equally safe if using the appropriate PPE. But this welding of contacts NEVER been found or proved. Contact me if you wish to discuss same. Regards David