Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 December 2001 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JULIE SANDERS Where an employee is on duty (i.e. School Crossing Wardens) and is hit by a car and subsequently admitted to hospital, breaks a limb, or is off work for more than three days (which would normally be reportable under RIDDOR)the HSE do not accept the F2508 for this type of accident, your thoughts (polite of course) would be appreciated as I still have doubts about not reporting!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 December 2001 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin R. Bessant Hi Julie, Like you I am surprised that this accident is not reportable under Riddor. However, I wonder who is the enforcing authority for this type of employee. It could be that the incident needs to be reported to the Local authority rather than the HSE. I may be wrong as it is not an area I know well and in which case I apologise. Perhaps one of our local authority colleagues can advise further. Hope you have had a good Christmas and have a Happy New Year. Regards, Martin.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 December 2001 11:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Edward H Regulation 10 of RIDDOR is the key here. Accidents arising out of or in connection with the movement of a vehicle on a road are only reportable if the injured person was: a)injured by a substance being carried by the vehicle b)injured whilst the vehicle was being loaded or unloaded c)injured as a result of construction or maintenance work to the road or adjacent buildings Further guidance is in HSE book L23 'A Guide to the RIDDOR 1995' .......Happy [& safe] New Year.....
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 December 2001 12:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Burrows Hi Julie, strange though it may seem the accident to a 'crossing person' would not normally be reportable under RIDDOR. Regulation 10 restricts the application of Reg. 3 and applies to 'road accidents'. These fall outside RIDDOR unless certain criteria apply which I won't list !!! Incidently I note the earlier response that it may be LA enforced . If RIDDOR applied then it would be HSE enforced as the work activity presumably relates to employment by Central/Local Government.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 December 2001 14:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Julie, The previous answers are spot on, the incident you describe is not RIDDOR reportable as it falls under the jurisdiction of the police. For those who can remember the transition from the'85 Regs. to the current, '95 ones, there was great speculation that accidents on the road whilst an employee was in the course of their duties would be included, but alas no. I still remember trying to convince a senior manager that a fatal RTA to one of our employees in a Company vehicle was not reportable, but a seemingly trivial accident in comparison which caused an over 3-day absence, was! Zyggy.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 December 2001 17:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram This anomaly re reporting should begin to change soon - see the report on "Reducing at-work road traffic incidents on the HSE website under "What's New" for w/c 19 November. Though police will still investigate, closely liaison with HSE for at-work aspects will become more common (assuming the report is accepted by all stakeholders). I think the recommendations make good sense, do others agree? A key point is that, whether or not something is RIDDOR reportable, internal investigation and remedying of root-causes can still be actively pursued. One hopes that not too many organisations rely solely on RIDDOR for a decision about how seriously they should treat an accident/incident!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 27 December 2001 23:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Julie, An ex-colleage of mine is working with your new deal projects in Birmingham. Hes called Mick Williams he should be able to assist you with this or at least get you the HSE Leaflets. Ashley