Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 December 2001 14:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees Can anyone point me in the best direction or method for obtaining alternative substances to a solvent (specifically MEK) that we are currently using? This solvent is particularly nasty, and requires certain PPE etc to be used. I would prefer to find an alternative that is easy to manage/control rather than go through the pain of issuing PPE, carrying out training, purchasing flamm-stores etc. Is there a site on the internet for this type of query? Thanks for any help. Pete
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 December 2001 19:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Peter Is MEK used for its chemical properties or for its physical properties? If it is being used for its chemical properties then there may be little choice as any change will affect the reactions involved. If it is being used for its physical properties, such as boiling point or its ability to dissolve other substances, then you should be able to find an alternative. I would have thought that your supplier would be able to help in choosing a suitable substitute. Regards Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2001 15:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger K. Bentley Pete, There is no simple answer for all applications. It all depends what you are using it for. Water-based formulations have been developed for some specific applications. Tell us more! Roger Bentley
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2001 08:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees Paul, Roger, The reason that we are currently using MEK is to remove an ink code on packaging that shows information such as use by date, date manufactured etc. As I/we work in the food industry this information is important to be correct, and so if the wrong info is 'stamped' by the machines then, instead of wasting the packaging, the coding is wiped off and the packaging reused. Although I have only been at this site for a while, I am assured that alternatives were looked at (this would be over 12 months ago, though). I cannot comment on which alternatives, or what results were obtained. Thanks for any help.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 January 2002 18:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roger K. Bentley Pete, MEK is the most commonly used solvent in such printers, but some water-based inks have been developed though I understand don't meet every requirement. As Paul has suggested, talk with the supplier(s) of your printers and inks.