Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2002 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Evans The Construction Design and Management regulations 1994 states when a project is ‘notifable’ that is when there are more than 500 person days involved and/or it lasts more than 30 days. It also states that there needs to be more than 4 people at work at any one time. Does the ‘4 people’ requirement include a night shift? For example there may be 3 on days and 3 on nights, a total of 6 people. My view is that the ‘ at any one time’ means just that and only the number on each shift is counted. Am I correct? Also, what constitutes a ‘person day’ many projects involve overtime and a day can be 12 hours long. So is a ‘person day’ a day at work regardless of the hours worked?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2002 11:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J. Orridge We have always took the "more than 4 people" to mean 5 or more at any one time. But you need to be careful about who is included in the count, e.g the designer or a project manager or a quantity surveyor, would in my oppinion need to be included. Where a delivery driver would not be included because he would not be undertaking construction works. Our local HSE say that a working day = 8 hours, therefore if for example the 6 operatives are working 12 hours each this would = 12 days! If you would like to discuss this further give me a call on 01623 473646 Regards Peter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2002 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The new revised Acop is much more user friendly on this and other points - At para 43 it states that " the total person days is the total number of shifts worked by everybody" therefore each shift is a day for each person - thus you have 6 person days each day. Get a copy of the new Acop - it is HSG 224 Managing Health and Safety in Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 1994 - It is to be fully in effect from 1st February 2002 Bob