Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2002 14:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Darren Honeyford
Happy New Year to you all and all the best for 2002.

Can someone point me in the right direction, I'm looking at aisle width's, not so much aisle width's within a warehouse environment for FLT, the aisles I am looking at are for just people and the storage of archive boxes, average storage height approx 8-9ft. Is there any guidance / acop on the minimum width of aisle's used for archive boxes other than guidance for warehouses aisles for FLT.

Many Thanks

Darren
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2002 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd
With storage to shelves at the heights you state I guess (hope) you're using appropriate step ladders - surely, they will define your aisle width (plus sufficient space for passing?).

Other factors have to be the size of your archive boxes (usually far to large in my experience - people just fill them and make the handling task a nightmare (put limits on the weight)), and the size (anthropometry) of your archive staff. Ergonomics guidance says aisle widths relate to hip width (females) or shoulder breadth (males)plus allowances for clothing and/or items carried.

There are many standards that might help you and which deal width access and clearance (American Military Stds, UK Def Stds, German DIN stds etc.)

Steve Pheasant also quotes (in a BSI book - 'Ergonomics : Standards and Guidelines for designers') International Stds (Annex to ISO 3055)for circulation and access in buildings and for kitchen design that could, I believe, be usefully applied to your situation.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 January 2002 19:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc
HI

In the HSE publication 'Fire safety - an employers guide (p49)' It suggets that isles should be 1m in width, increased to 1.2m if any person uses a wheelchair.