Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2002 09:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephanie Williams
My problem is that our solicitors are required to take more and more files/books etc to court with them. It is now normal for them to go with a suitcase on wheels. This is fine when being pulled along on a smooth pavement. However these trollies have to be lifted up steps and in/out of cars.

Other than decanting the bags and lifting smaller quantities is there any advice or equipment anyone can recommend?

Thanks Steph
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2002 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods
There are sack cart type trolleys that are desined to transport goods up stairs, altough I don't think it would enhance the professional image of the solicitor if he was seen pushing a sack cart.
Maybe they could employ a book/file caddy?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2002 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd
Only the obvious, I'm afraid - and which might seem flipant but - use more clerks. It's a problem that has been identified to me by a number of practices (and barristers), and I have to say that I haven't yet been able to find a single suitable answer. Often the venues are antiquated and stairways awkward etc.

The principles of good handling operations, however, don't alter: don't overpack the car or the cases such that it makes life difficult 'at the other end': use suitable/practicable containers (not image enhancers) - not too large, not overloaded and with good handles; try to share the load between two hands etc. etc.

The wheeled cases are good (as you say 'on smooth surfaces') but often something with larger wheels would be more appropriate for rougher ground. From the office to the car park a large-wheeled trolley is probably best with a shelf height above the level of the car boot entry point. At the other end, a DIY sack truck (they are light, fairly cheap and fold up) may be the answer.

Best of luck.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2002 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Maddock
...oh dear, less solicitors due to back injuries :-)
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 January 2002 12:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts
Steph,
A company called Powell make a lightweight stair climbing truck which folds down to fit into a car boot. This may be what you are looking for.
They can be contacted by phone on 01554 741222 or free fax 08000 72 42 32. They have also got a web site www.powellmol.co.uk

Good luck
Phil Roberts
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 January 2002 12:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
At least they can put together a fairly watertight case for compensation eh?

Nick
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 January 2002 13:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper
Stephanie,
If only the problem was related to just solicitors! Look across any car park in a morning and watch people struggling with a Laptop computer, portable printer / projector, a briefcase, paperwork or any combination of these things!
My answer when I was a roving H&S lecturer was to use a folding trolley which fitted easily into my car boot. Everything else was packed into substantial cases (document or otherwise or even cardboard cartons) and secured to the trolley with a ratchet type strap.
The whole thing was easy to manouvre and if there was no lift in a building I always asked for help up stairs and certainly to have doors opened for me.
Plenty of people sell such trolleys - Seton, Kaiser+Kraft etc (both with websites) and if your people are worried about image they can get a nice chrome steel one as opposed to my cheapo mild steel version!
Hope this helps,
Frank Cooper
Admin  
#8 Posted : 07 January 2002 17:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I use a fairly smart looking chrome finish folding trolley with reasonable-sized rubber wheels. This folds in three and clips together for easy carrying or stowing in the car boot and, when unfolded, resembles a small sack-barrow with a folding base plate and a couple of springy straps that will effectively hold suitcases, boxes, parcels, etc in place. You may find these in some of the luggage departments of the larger departmental stores.