Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2002 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan Now that Johnson and Johnson are going to withdraw Cidex (Glutaraldehyde) in May, I suspect that it will not be long before the other manufacturers follow suit eg Asep and Totacide etc. Do any health service colleagues have any views on a safer alternative ie Peracetic (New Cidex, Perasafe) Acid or Chlorine Dioxide (Tristel). I am sure this has been discussed before but I would welcome any comments about the use of these products as an alternative to Glute.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 January 2002 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Lance Have they issued a press release or similar? Must admit that I haven't heard about this move, which will probably affect the majority of Trusts in the UK and Europe. Being the cynic it may just be a scare story designed to make more Trusts move over to using their Cidex OPA which of course is exorbitantly expensive. This cost is even more difficult to accept when the reps and all the publicity goes to great length to stress that OPA is 99.25% water. I think a careful assessment is needed of all the alternatives - they all have drawbacks. Personally, my Trust ditched Cidex 4 years ago in favour of Perasafe. Up until recently Cidex was only used in our Clinical Investigation Unit but it was very well controlled. They did dally with Cidex OPA for a little while until the very real cost implication hit them...back to Cidex!! Choose carefully, make sure there is a reduction in risk and not a simple swap of one risk for another. Hopefully we've been fairly pro-active in this Trust - if you'd like to discuss more detail drop me an e.mail Regards Bryn
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2002 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Dando Whatever you use whether it is Steris, Nu-Cidex, Tristel etc. they all need environmental monitoring and they all need to be controlled using regularly maintained equipment, well ventilated areas etc. etc. and with the new COSHH Regs. coming in later this year emergency contol measures in case of spillages/leaking equipment etc..(Steris machines will spill/leak at least 11L, Labcaire - the single system potentially around 15L, I believe and any Medivators still around also a few litres)Both Steris and Nu-Cidex are acidic products even when diluted. As Bryn says on the face of it, it could be a rumour going around to get you to use their Cidex OPA which allegedley is meant to be safer! Personally, I think you pay your money and you take your choice. If you are using a product designed to kill bacteria,then it will probably affect human tissue (wherever it is, on, or in the body).
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 February 2002 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vincent Shields The following information was posted by the TUC. It may be of some use in clarifying the point: - Asthma-causing disinfectant replaced not scrapped Last week’s Risks reported that Johnson and Johnson had decided to withdraw Cidex, the glutaraldehyde-based disinfectant that has caused so many cases of asthma. Further investigations show that the glute-based Cidex will be replaced with another version of Cidex whose active ingredient is also hazardous, but used in very much lower quantities which, the company claims, will cause no problems. TUC’s Owen Tudor commented: 'If the company is right, then this is the first scalp for the asthma ACoP due in the summer - glutaraldehyde is one of the top eight asthmagens that the HSC wants to see prioritised. And if the company’s claims prove reliable, then this is a clear case of substitution, something the TUC wants to see more of in defeating work-related asthma.'
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2002 15:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne I rang J&J to ask about this and they were very keen to stress that they are "phasing out" Cidex (glutaraldehyde flavour) and replacing it with Cidex-OPA. They seem to feel this is not the same as "withdrawal" of Cidex. They are keen to state all the advantages of the OPA - speed of action, stability, neutral pH etc. They seem to want to avoid any suggestion that this withdrawal is anything to do with safety. Apparently they are thinking of changing the 1st May deadline.