Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2002 12:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Martin I have come across some machines which have removable covers over moving parts. The round covers are held in place with a screw clamp mechanism. When tight this mechanism is fine but I have noticed that people leave them undone ( for ease of access ). Without wishing to sound daft I presume that these covers are not suitable and should be replaced with an interlocked cover where maitenance access may be required in future? Has anyone else come across this sort of "quick release fitting"? Where do we draw the line between fitting interlocks and just ensuring that covers are secured so that tools are required to remove them? Thanks in advance.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2002 20:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marilyn Martin PUWER states that all moving parts of machinery should be suitably guarded to prevent access when machine is in operation. If guards are easily removed or parts accessible, then the guards should be interlocked. If you contact the British Standards Institute, they have a publication giving standards for machine guarding. You will need to know the type of machine and an idea of it's age. Also, contact the HSE Engineering inspector for advice. Employees should also be reminded that it is an offence to remove/disable equipment that has been provided for health and safety reasons. Hope this helps Marilyn Martin
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2002 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Whilst the interlocking of all guards and covers would seem an ideal situation, many machines with moving parts have guards that can readily be removed or lifted aside without the use of tools (eg for frequent maintenance, access to change bits, heads, cutters, etc.) and I believe them to be still 'legal'. There will be pros and cons in this subject as guards and covers that are time-consuming to replace after legitimate temporary removal may be left off by impatient operators. Training, supervision and enforcement action are called for as ever.