Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2002 11:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Younger I am trying to purchase a pendular floor tester, but am having real difficulties finding a supplier, can anybody point me in the right direction, and does anybody have any experience in using them?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2002 11:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Maddock Peter, I have had experience of using one developed by the Transport Research Laboratory. (http://www.trl.co.uk). This was developed to determine the surface grip of roads for the Police to investigate RTA's but is now quite dated. It is a quite useful but cumbersome tool to use!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2002 11:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By stephen j mills The Health and Safety Laboratories carry out a large number of friction tests with a pendulum tester, and are still currently undertaking research into slips and trips with this equipment. The best person to speak to there is probably Steve Thorpe e-mail steve.thorpe@hsl.gov.uk
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2002 16:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Try a Google search using the term PENDULUM floor tester UK First hit Wessex engineering has just what you're looking for http://www.wessexengineering.co.uk/product5.asp
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2002 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd This isn't meant to be patronising, but please be clear of the reasons for your search - if you want to be able to compare different surfaces for some academic purpose then fine, you should end up with data you can use (though many would even argue about that). However, if your aim is to assess risk, then I believe the current view is that the results from such testing equipment (not just the pendulum) are not especially helpful. I would love to read (I would really be interested in) the HSE's response if you should request information via the link suggested above.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 04 February 2002 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Peter, The HSE have just embarked on a number of countrywide seminars on the subject of "slips, trips & falls". I recently attended a very interesting presentation at Haydock Park where Dr. Steven Thorpe from the Health & Safety Laboratory in Sheffield gave an insight into the types of equipment currently available on the market. What was quite worrying was that a number of well known pieces of equipment failed to give accurate readings when tested by the HSL. I would therefore strongly urge you to follow Stephen's advice and contact Dr. Thorpe before you waste any money. Zyggy.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2002 18:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I think the equipment you refer to is actually part of a skid resistance test, as someone mentioned above, and is intended for use on roads where a specific skid resistance is required (i.e. junction approaches etc). The equipment and the test is described in relevant British Standards, and anyone with access to either a college of technology where they have BS's or electronic access to the BSI database should be able to locate the relevant standards and info. Basically, after setting up the apparatus (a swinging arm with weight (into which a pience of rubber is inserted), the surface is wetted and the arm allowed to swing down. a series of these 'tests' are taken at each location and averaged up. the result are then compared to a chart to provide the skid resistance reading. Hope this all helps... Stuart Nagle