Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2002 12:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sara Spence
Does anyone have responsibility for a Stores area? I would like to know what your cleaning rota is (if you don't mind sharing this with me!.

My scenario is a two/three person stores area where unpacking items and shelving them is taking place.

The rest of the office is cleaned daily - my feeling is that this area should be also, given than manual handling is taking place and that there are large amounts of dust and particles in the air.

Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2002 17:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Houghton
Sara,

My experience of Stores is that they are rarely, if ever, cleaned!

Provided that there are no special risks in terms of the dust which is present, or the extent to which the dust is made airborne, I would have thought that a weekly clean would make your stores cleaner than most.

Regards,

Brian
www.hsafety.co.uk
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2002 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
Sara,

Are these head height and below approx shelves, are they handballed on and off or is equipment used such as Fork Lift Trucks, pedestrian stackers etc?

The issue may be more serious depending on the height of the uppper shelves and dust coming off them particularly above head height.

Andrew
Admin  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2002 14:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sara Spence
Some of the shelves are indeed at head height and below and there is no equipment available to the stores staff - they have to lift everything by hand.

I was wondering about providing hand held 'dustbusters'.