Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2002 19:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Peirce Could anyone advise as to the legal requirement to carry out regular fire drills in churches. Also how best to manage such a drill given the ingredients. Such as, many elderly(and possibly disabled) people attend church, inappropriateness of very loud alarm etc. A work colleague has asked me for advice and whilst outside the remit of my day to day H & S role I would naturally like to help. Maybe she will consider me to be the "font" of all knowledge. Thanks in anticipation. Brian email brian.peirce@uuplc.co.uk
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2002 08:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You should get an authoritive answer if you try the FireNet Forum on http://www.globalcrisisc...er.com/BBSFire/index.php In practice it seems to depend upon the extent to which the church building is used as a workplace. Whilst there was no former certification under the FP Act, etc (where requirements for fire drills tended to arise), churches that employ someone now need fire risk assessments - which should direct them towards fire drills where appropriate as part of their plans. If it's the formal 'in and out for a service' type of use the analogy with a theatre seems reasonable (where they don't ring the fire bell during the performance) whereas if it's the sort of church that has day schools, drop-in centres, cafeterias, sleep-overs, conferences, etc, etc (which,increasingly, seems to be the case these days), I would expect the fire drill (and all that goes with it) to feature in their plans. The major denominations seem to have issued fire safety guidance to their member churches so your colleague could also enquire down that avenue.