Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2002 21:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Sargeant Can anyone help, I know a method statement is a basic document, but I need pointing in the right direction as to how to lay it out, content that kind of thing? Any details of publications/web sites etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2002 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alistair Forsyth Graham The level of detail obviously needs to be pertinent to the complexity of the task and the risks involved. However, the best method statements that I have seen are in tabular format and contain the following headings: 1. Site / location / job No etc. 2. Task (i.e. what job is to be done overall). 3. Activities / operations required to achieve the overall task (i.e. how each component of the task is to be done "sequencce of operations", who is to carry out the work, etc). 4. The hazards and risks associated with each component of the task. 5. The risk avoidance and control measures to be observed. As previously mentioned, the level of detail will need to be appropriate, but this column would normally contain details of the safe system of work e.g. details of any written procedures to be followed; particular competence or skills required of employees; demarcatiion arrangements to protect others; reference to legislative or other guidance notes or standards; supervisory details; PPE; first aid and emergency arrangements; etc. 6. Column for any additional comments. In addition, any high risk or 'critical phases' of the task should be clearly highlighted to identify them and it is also useful if details of how the work and compliance with the method statement will be monitored and how it is communicated to relevant personnel (i.e. those performing the work and those who could be affected by it). Hope this is helpful. Please note that the opinions expressed here are based on my personal knowledge and experience and are not necessarily representative of the Learning and Skills Council.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2002 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Graham Four areas need to be clearly identified; 1. The work operation, 2. The associated hazards, 3. The control measures, and 4. The resources needed. There is a template for this in the e-learning program (Section 4 - review)at the following web address; http://www.confinedspaces.com/oac/index.htm Best wishes Ciaran