Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2002 10:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Could anyone advise me if there is a website where I can find out details of succesful H&S compensation claims for injuries received at work and the amount awarded in each.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 February 2002 11:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Ron This link may help you although I see that they are now restricting the information we can get for nothing: www.swarb.co.uk/lisc/Health_and_Safety.html regards Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 February 2002 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 February 2002 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Can we really find out actual costs of personal injury claims, or is it just averages, I thought that sort of information would be severly restricted. I believe the average claim cost was £3000, does this still stand? Regards Andrew
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 February 2002 10:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Grace Sources of information in this area are not the best... you have to remember: 1) Vast majority of cases are settled out of court so never get reported. The TUC does collect stats but I am not a regular user so can not comment on how complete they are. Nor how detailed. 2) Many awards settled out of court are settled with a "no publicity" clause that prevents reporting. 3) Most awards settled out of court are on the basis of "no admission of liability" and thus the "payment" may not strictly relate to the injury. 4) Awards are often a compromise between a full payment (representing 100% liability) and a recognition that the injured party contributed to the accident/injury. I am not sure for what purpose you needed the information. Claims staff at EL insurers have many sources that provide them with guidance as to how much a particular injury should receive BUT (a big but) by far the biggest compenent of most claims relate to things such as loss of earnings, the cost of care for seriously injured people and so on. These are related to the pre-accident earnings of the individual as much as the nature of the injury. Contact me if you wish to discuss: 0207 817 6134 phil_grace@norwich-union-insurance.co.uk