Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 February 2002 11:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By S C Purohit As part of my risk assessment for sampling and venting of road tankers, I am looking for sources of information on mobile access platforms or gantries ( or alternative safe systems of work) that would enable safe access where the tankers do not have fixed guarded walkways. We are limited for space and the frequency of operation would not justify major capital expenditure. Can you please help?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2002 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Zwart The Institute of Petroleum have published their own risk assessment on Safe Access to the top of Tankers. I believe the Chemical Industries Association have issued guidelines too. Have you considered taking samples from the bottom faucets as opposed from the top manlid? If going on top is necessary then you need fall prevention measures in place - ideally fixed barriers on a gantry or even temporary scaffolding. Fall arrest gear is your next choice. The best solution is try to eliminate going up there at all. The oil industry has all but eliminated going on top of tankers without fixed fall protection by changing systems of work. Cost is not an issue. Eliminate the hazard or provide fall protection. The Workplace Regulations (Transport) ACOP is also worth a read. HSE will not hesitate to issue improvement notices where no fall protection systems exist. Hope this helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2002 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Fergusson Even the strongest systems to sample from the bottom will fail in too many cases. A system of fixed fall arrest seems to me to be the only safeguard against the drivers climing without protection when they are away from site. I have seen examples of tanks that have no top manways at all. This does stop anyone from climbing, these tank are being operated by Wincanton for Milk delivery, they may well be the best answer in the long run.