Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2002 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Scargill
I am preparing an "Accident Cost Sheet" to issue to all General Managers of business untis within a group, following accidents.

The objective is to raise the awareness of hidden accident costs, such as production down time, cost of replacement, labour, my investigation time etc.

So far I have identified costs for first aid supplies, transport to hospital cost, accident investigation, cost of lost time of injured person/first aider, cost of replacment labour & training.

However, I am struggling to determine a cost for lost production.

Undoubtedly, this will be amongst one of the highest costs, and closest to the hearts of the GM's

Does anyone use a similar system, and can advise me of a costing sytem, based on averages.

Thanks in advance

Andrew Scargill
Health & Safety Advisor
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2002 11:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Crookes
Andrew,

to calculate simply, the cost of lost production, we use a 'lost opportunity' figure, namely what we charge the customer per hourly rate for a worker-this rate being averaged over all employees within the organisation. So, for a customer charge rate of say, £40 per hour, a cut finger taking half-an-hour to attend to works out as:

injured employee-----£20
first aider----------£20

lost opportunity-----£40

To this then add the employees and first aiders salary for half an hour of non-production,(pay rate £8 per hour):

injured employee-----£04
first aider----------£04
plus lost opportunity£40

Total: £48 for a half hour cut finger.

A three day injury:
lost opportuity 960
wages 192
total £1152

This will be far more because of the disruption caused among the work force and the extra first aiders time, filling out riddor, accident investigation etc.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Steve Crookes.

Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 February 2002 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan
Andrew

In an earlier version of the UK’s HSE guidance “The Costs of Accidents at Work” there was a system for surveying the costs of accidents. It isn’t in the most recent version so I don’t know whether it was discredited or too onerous a task for the net benefit received from applying it. Whatever the reason there were some bits of information contained in it that may be of some use to you.

Firstly it is important to establish whether the accident involved a lost production output, if for instance the losses are subsequently made good and the orders are completed. The guidance makes the point that if the marginal value of production is taken to be equal to the marginal cost of labour then the “Opportunity Cost” of no production is the net cost for labour, paid for no production. The “financial cost is the actual additional cost paid to achieve the production required.

With that in mind the details of extra costs incurred could include;

· Contracted out work (Was it necessary? And what was the cost?)
· In-house labour costs for remedial work (repairs, extra tests etc.)
· Plant/ Equipment costs for remedial work (hired or purchased for the job)
· Materials, spares, consumables used (What was needed? What was lost?)
· Enhancements (Consider whether any routine work may have been completed during remedial work. This should be registered as a saving).
· Within your company there may be particular costs/ savings as a result. Don’t forget them.

I have the HSE document in my archive. If you need any more detail just let me know.

Best wishes

Ciaran

Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 February 2002 18:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne
Andrew,

I work for a very large American based multi national organisation and the calculation we have to use is $500 per day for each lost time accident (about £350).

Regards,

Paul
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2002 10:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Duncan Brown
Hi Andrew

You may care to look at our video "The Secret Siphon" which was produced with CBI after they did some work with the HSE on the cost of accidents.On our website www.outtakes.co.uk, their are two references in links at www.web-safety.com (run by Philip & Ciaran McAleenan) and www.rydermarsh.co.uk to using the film to support the cost of accidents training.
Please call me on 0208 289 2466 if you wish to preview the video.

Thanks Duncan Brown