Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2002 21:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Roy Male Has anybody had the experience of banning the wearing of jewellery because it stopped the person wearing PPE correctly and how was it resolved? In my company, because of the press work, it is mandatory to wear ear protection, and within the press cell the operators must wear ear defenders. However, a new employee working in the press cell has about 6-8 round earrings in each ear and she does not wear the ear defenders because they hurt her ears when she wears them. She just wears the soft ear plugs which does not give her the same level of protection. I have said that our risk assessment specifies the correct ear protection to be worn and that she must remove her earrings before she comes to work. She refused, so we transferred her to another department. She refused to be transferred and her union is now involved in discussion to resolve the situation. Roy
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 February 2002 10:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson I had a similar problem many years ago with an employee who had large protruding ears. I solved the problem by purchasing a pair of ear defenders with a larger than normal shell. I have just had a look at the ARCO catalogue and they supply a Peltor H9A Ear defender of a similar pattern. No doubt there are other manufacturers have the same in their range. Dont know if it would help in your case.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 February 2002 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Roy, The safety of the individual must come before fahion! My approach would be to ensure that the individual has seen the Risk Assessment before starting work in that department and should be asked to sign on to it. It should always be explained why the need for PPE is required (i.e. As a last resort, when all other attempts to reduce the risk have been considered.) The nature of the risk and possible harm should also be fully explained. Once people have had such matters brought to their attention then failure to co-operate with the employer becomes an internal discipline matter. Presumably you have a discipline procedure? Experience tells me that Trade Unions will rarely take on board a discipline case etc if such a process is followed and it is proven that action by the employer is only being taken to protect the employee. Hope this helps. Frank Cooper
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 February 2002 16:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lance Morgan I agree with Frank. As an employee she has a duty under the HASAW Act - Section 7. To co-operate with the employer and use any PPE provided. If she refuses to wear hearing protection it is a disciplinary matter and there is not a thing the union can do about it.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 February 2002 22:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David .J. Minnery Roy Apart from the internal disciplinary aspect , refusal to co-operate with an employer and use the p.p.e. provided [sect. 7 HASAW Act]. The employee is liable to be prosecuted him/herself for failing to comply , p.p.e. should be a perfect fit for the user i.e. differing sizes etc , but when someone point blank refuses because of a fashion statement I would say that constitutes non-compliance , maybe your internal company procedures should state specifically that jewellery that interferes with p.p.e. should be removed avoiding similar situations . Regards David
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 February 2002 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft I would agree with all these, if the risk assessment shows that ear protection must be worn then there can be no exceptions. Also if you don't enforce the wearing of the protective equipment through the disiplinary procedure, if necesary and as a result the employee suffers injury, you may be in big trouble in court. If the only thing interfering with the wearing of PPE is jewelry then the jewelry has to go. Whilst on the subject of jewelry I will go off the point slightly. I worked for 31 years in heavy engineering and in that time I saw two people have fingers pulled off by wedding rings getting caught by machinery and equipment. Have you considered banning the wearing of them as well, the two people I am refering to don't wear theirs anymore.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2002 11:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pollington Roy I agree with the others and would also add that we have a jewellery policy for hygeine purposes which all staff have to adhere to as well. The upshot is that the company says what goes and not the employee, who by law has to do what he or she is told. Chris.