Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2002 14:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Geen
Hello, we are a transport company and are looking to take on a school leaver to help in the office with the phones and teach him the workings. I got in touch with the local placement agency and they required a health & saftey check to make sure things were not dangerous for the young person (fair enough). The rep was very happy with the tidyness and orgonisation of our company. but he pointed out that we have no 'Health & Saftey Policy' and also we have not got a 'Risk Assesment' So iam asking anyone if there is help as i don't know where to start or the questions to ask myself to produce these documents. I cannot afford to have a consultant in and was told that you can do it youself! If only i knew how. Are there any templates that can be taylored? anything will be a help THANKS. Ian.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2002 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson
You need the HSE leaflet INDG 324 'Stating Your Business - Guidance on Preparing a Health and Safety Policy Document for Small Firms which is available on-line at:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg324.pdf

If you have fewer than 5 employees you are not required to have a written policy under the Act.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2002 16:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By stephen j mills
Contact your local Environmental Health Department and speak to someone in the Health and Safety Section.
Although a transport business, the office and garaging activities are probably enforced by them, and they will be more than willing to give you help and assistance in compiling a safety policy and risk assessments. They should also be able to supply you with any number of leaflets to assist you including:-
INDG324 (Stating Your Busines - Guidance on preparing a Health and Safety Policy document for small firms); INDG163(rev1) (5 Steps to Risk Assessment); INDG136(rev) (COSHH a brief guide to the regulations);
INDG199 (managing vehicle safety at the workplace), etc, etc
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2002 08:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Ian,

GO to www.safestartup.org

Its a website specifically designed to advise small businesses on where to start with health & safety. It's easy to use and will point you in the right direction of the free literature you need. It's affiliated with IOSH, and I think there's a link from www.iosh.co.uk

Regards,

Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2002 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Younger
Hello Ian

can I first recommend that if your new member of staff is not on a training course that you enroll them on one, secondly, if you use the National traineeship, or Modern Apprenticeship programme, you will be funded through a Learning Skills Council(LSC) in your area. The LSC will have a Health and Safety department, who may be able to offer you some assistance,Tyne and Wear LSC for example have an excellent safety package called Key Standards. LSC's also have a business support department called Business Link who (should) also point you in the right direction. There are some useful publications available regarding producing your own health and safety policy most are available by ringing HSE books on 01787-881165. Your main starting point however is risk assessment, which any safety officer/advisor will tell you is the corner stone to your safety management, get a copy of 5 steps to risk assessment INDG 163 and a copy of the Management of Health and Safety at Work Regs 1999, that will get you started. "Good Luck"

Peter Younger
Safety Officer
South Tyneside Council
0191-4247346