Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2002 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Dodson As a large local authority with both special schools and a Social Services directorate we have a number of staff who work with children/adolescents with severely challenging behaviour. Obviously we have systems in place to minimise this risk (training in conflict management, PRICE restraint techniques etc.). However a residual risk remains and despite these measures staff can be injured by kicks, bites or scratches. The authority is looking for suitable PPE to help in this situation. Some PPE is available off the shelf from say sports shops (e.g. shin pads) but we’re not aware of any PPE to protect against bites and scratches on the arms. We are aware of Kevlar Sleeves which would presumably offer some protection but as well as affording sufficient protection for the wearer it has to be suitable for the person with challenging behaviour (that is it must not cause them any harm and also it should be as unobtrusive as possible so that its not the focus of attention or upsets them in any way). Would PPE of this nature require a CE mark? or would it be exempted as being ‘PPE for self defence (aerosol canisters, personal deterrent weapons, etc.)’ which is listed on the 'exhaustive list of PPE classes not covered by the Personnel Protective Equipment (EC Directive) Regulations 1992'. Alternatively if it did require a CE mark would it be considered ‘simple PPE protecting against low risks (e.g. gardening gloves)’ where the manufacturer can himself certify that it meets the basic safety requirements. (See para. 34 of the PPE at Work Guidance to the Regulations). This would be helpful because the process of getting such equipment certified by an independent inspection body would probably take time! I have heard of wet suit material being used for this purpose but I am not sure it would be suitable (uncomfortable, bulky). We are also considering a tabard which would protect the chest area, again, mainly from bites. Presumably there must be others who have had to address this issue and I was wondering what solutions have been found. John
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2002 09:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment John Rather than opt for the PPE, which, if available, is always going to be obtrusive, uncomfortable and bulky, can't this be tackled from the point of view of medication. I may be given stick for advocating the chemical cosh approach for children with these unfortunate conditions but it would be done for adults with similar conditions. Drugs are routinely given to children with ADD and hyperactivity. I'm not saying they should be knocked out, just having the 'edge' taken off. It would appear that staff are currently having to endure a fairly high risk of injury which cannot be good for moral. I would at least involve GPs , carers, OH etc to try and see if there is a way forward on a case by case basis. Wish you success
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2002 10:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Whitfield I work in an engineering company and our labourers rip out aluminium components leaving long sharp off cuts which cause cuts and lacerations to the arms. We have provided them with thin Kevlar sleeves which are unobtrusive and do not hinder them in any way. I would imagine that your staff could possibly wear them under shirts and blouses (hidden) as protection. Also, my daughter has ADHD and Tourette Syndrome and was put on medication some years ago. The medication calmed her down considerably and allowed her to be able to attend normal classes without the need for a special needs teacher. As with the other response, I think it is something worth investigating.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2002 16:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Dodson Bryn, David thanks for your responses. I’ve finally found the time to discuss this further with the managers who raised the issue. The people concerned have very profound conditions and the use of medication could not be used as a long term solution and in most cases would not be permitted. The National Task Force on Violence Against Social Care Staff refers to ‘the adult receiving day services, with learning disabilities so severe that she cannot understand her environment, feels threatened by friendly approaches, and reacts adversely’; I think this applies here. So, I am still investigating the PPE option (and we are looking at kevlar sleeves)and would welcome views from anyone else. John