Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2002 16:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Lennon
The Bean Counters in our finance department are concerned that Employees are claiming payments for overtime for unbroken periods in excess of 6 hours, but not recording any rest breaks (for which they would not get paid). Regulation 12 of the WTR details the entitlement of an Adult Worker to a 20 minute break in any 6 hour working period. Can anyone help me with answers to the following:

1. Can Workers opt out of the 20 minute break when doing overtime?

2. Should Workers be paid for the 20 minutes rest time? ie. should they be paid for 6 hours work interupted with an unpaid 20 minute rest period or, should the 20 minute rest period be included in the 6 hours paid work?

Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2002 17:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Bennion
David,

As far as i remember without consulting the DTI guidance, only groups can opt out of the 20 min break in a written agreement through the appointed representative or majority vote of the workforce if less than 25 employees.

My advice is to check the guidelines from the DTI, the relevant enforcing authority or the LAC (Local Authority Circulars on the HSE's web page). I seem to remember that an OC (Operational circular is available form the HSE on the subject.

Regards

Richard
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2002 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede
Richard is quite right in what he says.

Additionally payment for these rest periods is determined by the workers Terms Conditions of Employment.

However there are exceptions to the general entitlement to in work rest breaks.

1. If a worker is on unmeasured work time which would not appear to apply if they are filling in timesheets to evidence their entitlement to payment.

2. If a workers place or places of work and residence are far apart from each other then working longer continuous periods for a short period is permitted.

3. Security or surveillance work is exempt.

4. If there is a requirement for continuous service or production such as in hospitals, care homes, power stations etc.

Adolescent workers get 30 min breaks if their working day is longer than 4.5 hrs.

The DTI have produced 'A Guide to Working Time Regulations' which is available from them.

Does this help?