Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2002 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Whitfield
I have been asked if a server room storage cabinet is required to be earthed. The cabinet will be fitted out with an uninterupted power supply, switches and hubs, other PC boxes, and possibly some BT phone equipment and cables.

I can't find anything that specifically requires earthing of such equipment. Has anyone come across this before and if so how did you tackle it?

Regards

Dave.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2002 23:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc
I would imagine that this sort of equipment will only be running on either 12V or 5V DC current, therefore earthing it would serve no purpose. I would also imagine that the power supplies for the hubs and ups will be class II equipment which is protected by double insulation rather than needing to be earthed.

However Earthing the cabinet to prevent possible static problems interrupting the computer equipment is common place.

In the past I have seen VDU workstations earthed to the metal conduits under the floor with a simple earth strap.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2002 21:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Equipotential bonding may, however, be required in the case of exposed conductive metal. The judgement of a competent person on site is needed here.