Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2002 20:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey
The sun was out today, well at least for an hour or so and that old favourite question on sun cream/protection came to the top of the list again.

I would be interested to gauge generally what policy is in other organisations, especially local authorities with regard to providing sun cream as protection.

I am well aware of HSE advice and the legislative requirements, this is just a little benchmarking exercise.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2002 21:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Harper
Peter,

This may be a usless peice of information, but a Watchdog programme highlighted the fact that to protect and individual from harmful rays and following instructions, would cost a substantial amount of money. On bottles it usually states to reapply regularly, but this can mean every half hour or so. I think theu worked out on hot day in Spain, it would cost a family £300 a day in lotion!

Ok its not so hot here, divide the family by 4 and there is less exposed skin, but the fact remains in summer, if used correctly could cost a lot of money.

Reasonably practicable?

We adopted a dress code, banning shorts and going topless. Current medical knowledge states the back of the neck and the back as high risk areas so protecting them is important. We think we have got it right without going over the top. We also looked at hats with flaps to protect the neck.

I will make 1 further point. My orgainsation is quite large, 5000+ people and we currently have a skin cancer case.

This is with a seasonal worker who never works for us in the summer and developed the cancer on his face. We supply him with cream as he has this condition that, although treated, even overcast days can trigger the cancer again.

If you want any detail email me, I think you know where I am.

PS I wonder how long we have to wait for the posting "It's sunny!! all my office staff want air conditioning!!"