Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2002 18:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Edwards
Could anyone please advise me as to the requirements of these seats in comapny cars that are transporting families, including very young children, is it a legal requirement to use a car seat for babies? Regards Mark Edwards.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2002 21:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
From the information supplied, there isn't a simple yes or no answer. I suggest you speak to RoSPA on 0121 248 2000 - who have some informative leaflets on this subject.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2002 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey
First thing to do might be to check you insurance if this is a company car?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 February 2002 06:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Haywood
I concur with Peter. One of the first things to do, is check the validity of the business' insurance for their company vehicles. Most policies will state that only 'employees' of the company are insured to drive and only 'employees' may be carried as passengers (sometimes passengers are not permitted at all).
Another aspect would be to look at the reason a compny care is issued - what benefit is there to the company in allowing family, including children to use the vehicle as a taxi?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 February 2002 08:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
To be fair to the enquirer on this one, we need to consider that there are employees who are required to transport families around in cars (Social Workers and the like). The law is quite complicated on this subject with different types of carry cots, child safety seats, booster cushions, etc, considerations as to who should be accommodated where in the vehicle, whether seat-belts are required and, if so, where, whether free seats are available for use, etc, etc. This is why I have said contact RoSPA in order to get the printed information and guidance so that it can be properly applied in the circumstances. As to insurance, everyone using their vehicle for their business or that of their employer needs to be insured for that use and in this process the insurers will need to be informed as to the nature of the use.