Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2002 06:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Basher Eyal
Hello Everybody

Near the veterinary clinic, we have a barn with bales of straw. Children of clients used to climb on the bales to a height of 5 metres, and this was very dangerous.

Please help me to find solution to this problem.

Thanks

Basher

Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2002 18:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
You are certainly right about it being dangerous, and if one of the children is killed or injured, whoever is in control or occupation of the site could be prosecuted and sued - particularly as the risk is foreseeable. It is impossible to come up with a correct answer at this distance but it will probably be a matter of taking reasonably practicable measures to prevent children (to whom a greater duty of care is owed) obtaining access to the bales.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2002 21:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow
Hi Basher

Have you thought of contacting the owner of the barn with regards your concerns for these children's safety.

As Ken has suggested, the owners could be held liable if any children were to be injured - are they aware, at the very least their duties under common law and occupiers liability!

Hope this helps.

Regards

David B

PS - reading my last response to another posting, I have spottid a spilling mastake - can anyone till me how to engage spillchecker before hiting the posstttting bitten! - many thanks