Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2002 10:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pollington Hi, Does anybody have any comments about the use of back support belts for preventing manual handling injuries. My understanding is that for a person with an exsisting back problem they may be of some use in preventing injury until recovery takes place. But for fit people they offer no real benefit and could give a false sense of security. I think I would rather spend money on other equipment to reduce manual handling. However I have ageed to let a rep into see me who supplies them and seems to be selling them as PPE and suggesting that they give major benefits. Any others tried them? Regards Chris.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2002 12:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ben Bishop We have supplied belts to our cellar staff who tend to do a large amount of physical work. They must be incorporated in to an overall programme of safety. I agree that there could be a tendancy to rely on the belt. We have hopefully avoided this by introduction of very specific methods of working that minimise manual handling. The staff have given good reports on the belts and say they no longer finish the shift with "back ache". We have also specified that, now we have introduced them, they must be worn for work in the area as essential PPE and not an optional fashion accessory.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2002 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Chris, Excellent critique in February issue of "Health and Safety at Work" magazine, with summary box of benefits, most of which are disbenefits. Most ergonomists appear to concur that back support belts are liable to encourage people to do things they shouldn't. Ben's cellar staff may be increasing their risk of long term problems. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2002 13:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pollington Thanks for the responses, My copy of Health & Safety at work was still in my in tray unread!, I have now dug it out. Thanks again Chris.