Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 March 2002 07:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Creak The correct signs to be used as best practice and best technical solution to satisfy the Health and Safety(Safety Signs and Signals)Regulations and the requirements of the Fire Precautions(Workplace)Regulations are set out in BS 5499 Part 1 and now excellently descibed and specified in BS5499 Part 4 2000. Why are so called Europictograms being used that so many people do not understand either application nor meaning??? The LIF and ICEL withdrew technical support for this sign over 18 months ago. Why does this bad practice continue with emergency lighting contractors??
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2002 09:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I suppose that, as with other signs in sign companies' catalogues, they will keep churning them out until customers demand something else. In this connection, I find the sign-accompanying text 'In the event of fire avoid use of lift' annoying and cannot understand why 'do not use lift' is not more widely used. My lack of enthusiasm for the EEC is likely to show here, but it was regrettable that our former, and well-understood 'Fire Exit' signs have given way to the 'man running to fridge' pictogram - particularly as we've been telling people for years not to run during fire drills.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2002 18:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Creak I am surprised that not one concern has been raised in respect to the state of escape route signs used in buildings today. Signs that no one knows what they mean or how to use them! I am even more surprised that not one member is prepared to try and justify the current situation. Why does IOSH accept this crazy situation?